Battery or charger problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cleung, May 7, 2008.

1. cleung macrumors regular

My friend's 17 inch Powerbook seemingly "died" the other day. When plugged in, the connector on the charger (where you plug into the computer) no longer lights up but the light in the front of the computer that indicates it's sleeping was still on for a while. He can't power up his computer at all. Is this a battery problem, the charger problem or some other bigger issue?

Thanks!

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Sounds more like the adapter, seeing as the light doesn't illuminate. Is there an Apple Store nearby you can take it to, where you could maybe convince an employee to let you try one of their adapters from their tech shop?

I'd try a new adapter first, and if that doesn't fix it, it's fairly obvious that it's the laptop.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's likely to be either the charger or the power board in the laptop. As the previous poster said, if you have an Apple store nearby, it'd be worth letting them have a look at it.

4. cleung thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...there are Apple resellers here but since it's a Powerbook, they wouldn't have the Powerbook adapters out.... Any chance it's the battery?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It sounds like the AC adapter died, so the battery ran out of juice. If the battery were dead, I believe the light would still come on.