Battery peaks at 93% on first charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Krezmona, May 10, 2013.

1. Krezmona macrumors newbie

Hi guys, still a noob in the mac environment as I received my first mac yesterday, but I don't think that concerns us atm. All I did was use it while charging for first time and it stopped charging at 93% any tips of what I could do get it to 100? plz thanks!:) :apple:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Continue to use normally.

3. Krezmona thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so I guess it will reset to 100 by time as I checked the coconutbattery and it said it was 100% ehh strange but thanks!

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Battery charge and health levels vary over the life of the battery. It's really not something to get hung up or worry about unless it continually hits that charge level.

5. Krezmona thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah ok.. was worried as I just bought it. I'l drain it down and charge when its 0% :)

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Actually, you can't really discharge a Lithium battery to 0%, if you would be able to do so the battery is dead and can't be revived again.;)

Lithium Ion needs a minimal voltage, if it gets lower than this voltage it breaks.

7. Krezmona thread starter macrumors newbie

aa ok so I don't wait for it to turn off to charge? because that is what i was going to do..

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, I was stating a fact many people don't know, when your Mac says it is 0% it isn't actually 0%, it's more like 10% (Just a guess) due to the fact Lithium Ion can't be discharged under a certain threshold, if the battery is drained too far it dies, all manufacturers prevent this by measuring the voltage continuously, when it gets to that point they state 0% but it actually means it reached that threshold and can't be discharged any farther to prevent the battery from breaking.

You can run it down until it shuts off, no problem.

9. Krezmona thread starter macrumors newbie

ok cool thanks! :)

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There is no need to run the battery down all apple devices come pre calibrated. You'd be wasting a cycle for nothing.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you don't use it enough to run down below around 90%, the next charge will stop short of 100% to avoid overcharging the battery. If you want to see it get to 100%, just use it to down below 90% then the next recharge will hit 100% or close to it.

That said, you can just ignore it and let the battery manage itself and you will be fine.

12. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Mine does this all the time. Nothing to worry about.

It will sometimes go to around 96% and stay there until I unplug it and it goes down a bit, then when I plug it back in it goes to 100%

Don't get hung up on these monitors unless you think something is wrong for another reason.

13. Krezmona thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys I just charged it up again and its 100% was just scared I ruined it on first charge, coz I was charging it and it stopped charging as wall adapter was faulty and I replaced then continued.

Atleast now my mind is at rest I tend to worry a lot about my gadgets especially computers hehe :)