Battery percentage dropping-plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Jan 14, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Why is my battery percentage getting lower? I noticed it said 99% the other day, but I didn't think much of it. I had it disconnected that day and figured it was still charging. Today I noticed it said 98% and now 97%. It's been plugged in all day. I hasn't been unplugged from the power in a few days actually. The light on the plug is green. When I click on the battery, it says 'Battery is charged'. Does anyone know why the percentage would be dropping even though it's plugged in?
    Thanks

2. ShoG macrumors member

The battery will start charging again once it drops to 95%. Your notebook is probably in sleep mode with the white led light pulsing in the front. This is normal, it prevents the batter from constantly charging from 99% to 100% over and over again. Also prevents overcharging the battery. you lose roughly 1% for every hour in sleep mode IIRC.

Bottom line, don't worry, this is normal. You should try searching for posts similar to your problem as there are many threads explaining everything you need to know about battery activity and health if you are curios about the batteries in mac portables.

3. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok. Good to know. I was away from my laptop through the day on and off. I did a search, but wasn't fining anything specific to my question. Perhaps my search words weren't doing the trick. I didn't notice the white flashing LED, but I wasn't looking for it either.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

During periods of extreme demand, such as gaming or other intensive apps, power can be drawn from both the battery and AC power. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

No gaming or anything like that. This morning it still says 97%. I had noticed the percentage changing/dropping, so I didn't know what was causing it. I am used to looking at my iPhone and iPad battery indicators which will show 100% when fully charged.