Battery Percentage. :-)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artimus12, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Artimus12, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

2 months into my Mid-2014 15" rMBP experience, I decided to recalibrate my battery (run until it powers down, then fully charge plus 2or 3 extra hours) and I've been pleasantly surprised by the health % reported by Battery Health app.

many others reporting 105% health status?

P.S: I'm aware that calibration isn't strictly necessary, I'm aware that the battery status will change, I'm aware that there's a link on site to Apple's recommended battery usage, I'm also aware that some folk enjoy killing the spirit of others with their "matter-of-fact" posts that are not always so "matter-of-fact" when you take them to task - I'm looking at you GGJStudio & simonsi. I'm aware of all this and would still like to see some comparisons, so ....

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mine does the same sitting at a bit over 103%.

[​IMG]

We won the battery lottery! :D

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

LOL - if Apple state that the calibration isn't carried out this way then you didn't calibrate anything, you just ran it down and recharged. "calibration" means the electronics re-learn the "full" and "empty" points of the battery so they can give a more accurate assessment of the state of remaining energy in it. Indeed getting to 105% is in fact evidence that calibration hasn't taken place....but whatever....

4. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Lol...too funny. Glad to hear your battery is doing well. Mine does the same and itʻs about two months old. 15" rMBP mid 2014 base model.

Iʻd be curious to know: After unplugging your laptop and letting the battery run down a bit. Normal usage and all. And after allowing it to go through 3-4 additional cycles. What "health" percentage are you seeing? 104%? 103?

Idle curiosity on my part. Iʻve watched mine top out at 105%, drop down to 99%, back to 105% and now Iʻm at about 101%. What about you?

5. Artimus12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Artimus12

Battery Percentage. :)

It still usually charges to 103/4%. This is the first time I've seen 105. :)

6. blooperz macrumors 6502

It's normal for it to fluctuate a few percent...I doubt actual usage time will change though. Would be nice if it did

7. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Mine stated that the battery needed servicing. After calibration, it read normal.

Calibration may not be required if the battery is functioning normally, but it can help if it is not.

8. Artimus12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Artimus12

...in your face, simonsi. :D

9. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Yes, 105% is not too shabby. ;) Thanks for the info.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is not calibration. That is simply draining your battery, which is bad for it. The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks. What you did is not even the correct procedure for those older Mac notebooks that have removable batteries that do require calibration. All you are doing by draining it is shortening your battery life.
    It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

11. Artimus12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Artimus12

yawn...

If the battery were drained when it powered down, how does it then have any power left to display the empty battery symbol on screen when you try to switch it back on?

Duh?!?

12. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Complain to Apple, they set the point at which the MBP powers down. You could safely assume it doesn't take much power to display an empty battery symbol though.

Most batteries also have a recover time, drain to the point it can't provide enough current to support the device and it powers down. After a short period of rest, typically it will recover enough to provide above the minimum current for a very short period, its one of the reasons batteries, capacities and measuring the remaining energy in them is slightly inexact science.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your posts demonstrate that you've invented your own battery draining/recharging procedure that obviously isn't actual calibration. Stop spreading misinformation in the forum.