Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

ufgatorvet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Savannah, GA
Life sciences type here, so when it comes to batteries 🤷‍♂️ ...

I top off my AW7 in the a.m. before leaving the house, and in the p.m. before bed (wear it all night for sleep tracking). It never drops below 65-70% and 15-20 mins on the charger gets it back to 100%.

Am I "wasting" charge cycles? It is "better" to bring it down to 10-20% before charging fully?

Not sure if things I read on the internet are fake news about these things. Appreciate the quick battery physiology lesson!

ericg301

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
The software, specifically battery optimization, is smarter than any tricks or tips you’re gonna read on the internet. Wear your watch, use your watch. Charge it when it needs it. Or even when it doesn’t. Otherwise you’re gonna drive yourself nuts.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I think I read somewhere that a full charge cycle is counted when it’s charged 100% and not necessarily to 100%. So if you deplete the battery to 50% and then charge it back to 100%, that only counts as a half charge cycle. Then if you do that again, it’s now counted as a full charge cycle.

I don’t know how accurate that is or remember where I read it but it was recently. Within the past month.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
So if you deplete the battery to 50% and then charge it back to 100%, that only counts as a half charge cycle. Then if you do that again, it’s now counted as a full charge cycle.
That is exactly right. In terms of battery physiology, it's even better to load 5 times from 60 to 80 percent (5 x 20 % = 100 %, a full charge cycle) than one time from 0 to 100 percent. Because the battery won't get as warm due to the shorter loading time on the charger. But as ericg301 says, "wear your watch, use your watch, charge your watch". No need for anxiety in these times.

Kkanst

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
The worst enemy of these type batteries are HEAT. The more you wear the battery down, the more juice aka heat are generated to charge the watch up to 100%. If possible- charge it at a cold place like bedroom. And try not to go under 20%. These are the most important things to remember.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
The only thing I pay attention to is making sure my battery stays over 20%. Going through some crazy routine to try to save a tiny percentage of battery health is too inconvenient.

Like others said, just use it in the way that works best for you. It’s a consumable part that will deteriorate no matter what you do.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The worst enemy of these type batteries are HEAT. The more you wear the battery down, the more juice aka heat are generated to charge the watch up to 100%. If possible- charge it at a cold place like bedroom. And try not to go under 20%. These are the most important things to remember.
Really? Your bedroom is cold? I keep my bedroom warm, I don't like sleeping in the cold.

ericg301

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Really? Your bedroom is cold? I keep my bedroom warm, I don't like sleeping in the cold.

That’s the craziest thing I’ve read on the internet today.

“Typically it is suggested that the optimal sleeping temperature in the bedroom for adults should be between 60 and 67° F,” says Dr. Drerup. This range of temperature is thought to actually help facilitate the stability of REM sleep.”

Analog Kid

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2003
That’s the craziest thing I’ve read on the internet today.

“Typically it is suggested that the optimal sleeping temperature in the bedroom for adults should be between 60 and 67° F,” says Dr. Drerup. This range of temperature is thought to actually help facilitate the stability of REM sleep.”
Rather than sleep 8 hours a night, I try to sleep 2 hours, 4 times a day so I don’t get too hot. I expect to live longer.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ha ha, 10-16°C in our bedroom.
Well, I don't know the exact temperature of our bedroom -- old apartment, no thermostat -- but I'm sure the temperature in our bedroom is higher than that. More to the point, what do you do in the summer? Please don't tell me you keep your bedroom that cold in the summer just so you can charge your watch at an ideal temperature!

Kkanst

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Well, I don't know the exact temperature of our bedroom -- old apartment, no thermostat -- but I'm sure the temperature in our bedroom is higher than that. More to the point, what do you do in the summer? Please don't tell me you keep your bedroom that cold in the summer just so you can charge your watch at an ideal temperature!
Well, we god AC in all rooms. I can be really hot at summertime. I must say- i basicly keep the beedroom cold for sleeping. However, I am so careful that IF there’s really hot inside, I DO place all charging things in the coldest room.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, we god AC in all rooms. I can be really hot at summertime. I must say- i basicly keep the beedroom cold for sleeping. However, I am so careful that IF there’s really hot inside, I DO place all charging things in the coldest room.
Yes, charging things in the coolest spot does sound like a good idea. But that spot will be different for different people/houses. I'm now trying to think which room is the coolest in my apartment, never really thought about it before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.