Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
As noted on an earlier thread, I unplugged the power from my Mac and attached it to my printer w/ USB. It printed half a doc and then shut down. It wouldn't restart until a plugged the power back in. Eventually, I turned it over and saw that the battery popped:

4826136981_08f9e1cb6b_z.jpg

Is it possible that the printer could cause this, or was it just the batteries time to die? I assume that after 4 years, Apple won't replace the battery, and I should just buy a new one?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Batteries that behave like that is considered dangerous, and I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced it. I would take the battery to a apple store and say that you're scared what have happened to the battery, and the chances that it is replaced is big.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Happened to me, but slowly. You'll just have to take it to them and see if they'll replace it. The expanding batteries happen occasionally and it has nothing to do with how you are using it (unless you've been bashing the battery in an oven).

If you have AppleCare then you're in the clear. If not, you may have to ask them again politely.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Happened to me, but slowly. You'll just have to take it to them and see if they'll replace it. The expanding batteries happen occasionally and it has nothing to do with how you are using it (unless you've been bashing the battery in an oven).

If you have AppleCare then you're in the clear. If not, you may have to ask them again politely.

I'd say that, being a 4 year-old computer, that AppleCare would have definitely expired :p :D

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'd say that, being a 4 year-old computer, that AppleCare would have definitely expired :p :D

I didn't catch that part at the end, that's what I get for skimming (my MBP is also 3.5 years old and out of AC too). Nonetheless, I covered my bases, and it's the latter: ask them nicely until they carry you out.

LisaMaree

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
As noted on an earlier thread, I unplugged the power from my Mac and attached it to my printer w/ USB. It printed half a doc and then shut down. It wouldn't restart until a plugged the power back in. Eventually, I turned it over and saw that the battery popped:

4826136981_08f9e1cb6b_z.jpg

Is it possible that the printer could cause this, or was it just the batteries time to die? I assume that after 4 years, Apple won't replace the battery, and I should just buy a new one?

Wow that definitely is not normal. I would think apple would do something for you for sure even if it is old.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
If you say you it scared you, and that you think it's dangerous and you use your MBP on a daily basis, they might replace the battery for you, due to lawsuit protection.

I had the Power Adapter to my 12" PowerBook start smoking, and they gave me a new one, no questions asked after looking at it. I got my PowerBook in April '05
That's what I call great customer serivce.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I would ask nicely first. If they refuse, say it was in your lap and they are lucky it didn't explode your privates off!!! Would definitely threaten to sue.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I took it to the Apple store at 59th St. in Manhattan. They exchanged the battery, no questions asked. Now the question is whether I cancel the replacement I already ordered from Apple, or just keep it to have a spare for long train rides and flights.

By the way -- what the hell is wrong with people that they all converge and hang out at the Apple store. What a mad house. don't they know they can get the same stuff on-line at the same price? (Although most people seemed to be tourists, maybe they get charged more in their home countries.) And with just one staircase leading in and out of the store, it must be a fire trap.

itripped

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, it's a sad but true phenomenon. Apple stores are impossibly crowded, even when there are a couple in your city. The only 'tourists' that would make sense would be of the local variety, like people coming in to the city because they don't have an apple store. But for those in a different country, unless they are paying cash, they are usually not able to shop at an Apple store. Unless things have changed recently, Apple validates the credit cards by location. So a UK credit card can't be used in New York, etc.

I actually like the fact that I can go see an item in person pre-purchase though, and think that is the real value behind having an Apple store. When I got my laptop I was also considering the Alienware M11x but ultimately decided to not get it in part because I was never able to get my hands on one to see how it felt. (We no longer have Dell kiosks in town).

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I actually like the fact that I can go see an item in person pre-purchase though, and think that is the real value behind having an Apple store.

I didn't think Mac purchasers needed to actually see the product. You guys see this movie. funny. a little bawdy for work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.