Battery Powered iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kjs862, Mar 9, 2009.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I think in the last revision to the iMacs they give the option of battery power. This is probably possible because of the iMacs mobile CPU and GPU components.

Attached Files:

2. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Maybe possible, but of what benefit to your average user?

3. belvdr macrumors 601

Except for the screen. To get enough battery-time, you'd add so much weight to the machine to power a 20 or 24" display.

Not going to happen; it's not what it is designed for.

4. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I vote not going to happen either, but I would love it if they put enough battery in the iMac so I could move it around the house to another outlet without turning it off.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I wonder if the safe sleep / hibernate mode is enabled on desktop macs...

Probably not but you should be able to enable it easily. Then you can just sleep it, wait for state to save, unplug it. When power is restored the system state is then restored from harddrive.

But probably safer to just shut down and restart when moving.

6. macintoshosxi macrumors newbie

I know what you mean. :apple: I hope one day that the imac and mac pro will hold a built in ups backup battery for moments like when the power goes out, or you need to move it as you said. Great ideas. You know, apple may be the top company, but it is very slow when it comes to what the people want.

7. Mac2012 macrumors regular

Why oh why would you unplug your 27" iMac and walk around your house? WOW!

8. cannonierd macrumors newbie

Relocation of the home office or even need i say cleaning and re organizing of said office space.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

iMacs use desktop processors and disk drives (they do use mobile GPUs though) - see the iFixit teardowns for details

10. nedman macrumors newbie

If you want this so bad buy a UPS(Uninterupted power supply). Battery time is dependent on size and Current usage but you should be able to get a reasonably sized one with 15 mins usage.

personally I dont see the point. Desktop is a Desktop.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Like my above said .. if you want iMac running off home electricity, just buy an excellent UPS .. a 1500 - 2000VA UPS can last you around 1 - 2 hours depend on usage.

But I just can't think .. why should it has a battery? The idea itself is .. you know .. ridiculous.

If you want battery, means you want portability ... something iMac isn't meant for at the first place. It's a beauty powerhouse, not a portable one. Keep dreaming on built in battery though ;) .. you know what Steve said about crazy ones :p

12. daftpunkstu macrumors member

the size of battery required to power that screen for any real amount of time would be far too large. I would appreciate a battery that could keep it running (to shut down safely) in a power cut [​IMG] but i doubt it'll be much more if anything.