Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andburn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I recently stumbled across this http://www.laptopbattery.net/notebookbatteries_life.html
interesting article regarding Li-Ion batteries and good habits to extend their life. It mentions something that had never occurred to me: when you leave your computer plugged in with 100% battery, the battery naturally loses a minute amount of charge while idling. The article says that when this happens, the computer provides a small charge to "top off" the battery charge. It says that this needlessly uses up charge/discharge cycles, which, over time, hurts your battery's capacity. One of the things I love about my new Mac is the fantastic battery life. Does anyone know if Macs "top off" the battery in a similar fashion? Is it markedly beneficial to the battery to remove it once it is completely charged?

ccwilli3

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
they deteriorate over time, just like you describe... But the system won't try to charge it until it's down in the lower 90s (not sure of the exact number)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.