Battery problem after using iOS 4.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greygray, Dec 13, 2010.

1. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Hey all, just need to ask for advice. My iPhone 4 has been experiencing rather bad battery life after downloading iOS 4.2. Here's the stats. My iPhone's brightness level is 1/7 of total brightness, 3G enabled, wifi and bluetooth off, no active apps. I fully charged my phone, left it in sleep mode for 8 hours without using it at all, then when I checked, battery life had already fallen to 85%.

Is there a problem with my battery life? :(

2. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

You need to setup as a new phone in iTunes. Its the only workaround this lame bug. I read its corrupt metadata from when you upgraded.

I would reformat, and setup as new phone.

3. Bored Op macrumors newbie

I thought I hadn't plugged my charger in correctly

for us dopes, I understand how to backup my iPhone, but what do you mean by reformat?

4. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Just plug in the iphone into iTunes and hit restore, then setup as new phone. Should be like turning the phone on for the first time out of the box.;)

5. Bored Op macrumors newbie

restore

got it. Thanks.
    will I lose anything, such as old txts?

6. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

You'll lose everything. It will be no different than turning your phone on for the first time. It sucks, but it seems to be the only work around for the 4.2.1 battery drain.

7. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

What if I restore my iPhone then when I plug it in again restore it from an older back up?

9. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

UPDATE: I restored iOS 4.2 and it's working fine now, after fully charging my iPhone, and 21 hours of standby with a little bit of usage, my battery now shows 96%, which is awesome! Guess it was a bug in my previously downloaded OS that screwed my iPhone's battery life for a while!