Battery problem and hinges with a 15" Powerbook Titanium...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Josh2449, May 30, 2007.

1. Josh2449 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I am going to be getting my first mac soon, and had some questions...

My budget is pretty limited, so I bought a 15" Powerbook Titanium, with a battery problem and a broken hinge..

Apparently, the practically new battery went from holding a three hour charge to not being recognized by the computer. Any ideas?

Also, one hinge cover is broken. Is that fixable by me, or is that something I need to get a professional to do?

Thank you very much...

2. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

First off, congrats on your new machine; you really won't be disappointed with a TiBook.

Before you rush out and buy a new battery, try a PMU reset. You can do this by shutting down the machine, lifting out the keyboard and you'll see a small silver button to the left of the power button. Hold this button down for up to five seconds and then reboot.

If this doesn't work, then it's a new battery for you.

Have a quick look at iFixit as I'm sure they have replacement hinges for sale and guides on how to install them. It's easily something you can do yourself.

Once again, although it may take a bit of initial work, you'll love your TiBook.

3. Josh2449 thread starter macrumors newbie

how exactly do you lift out the keyboard? i probably wont be getting the machine for another week or so...but want to ready when i do get it...

Andyes, I'm looking forward to getting a Mac..my girlfriend has one and I like it. This one's a little older/more used, but basically all i'm going tobe doing is browsing, typing papers for school, and AIM

4. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Ah, the keyboard is easy to lift out. There's a small screw between F5 and F6 which you rotate 180 degrees and then just pull the two tabs on the top outer edges of the keyboard. This releases the keyboard which you can then pull up and out. I'm sure there's a video of it on YouTube anyway.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

josh - pm me if you need a battery for your TiPB - I've got one from mine that you can have for shipping/packing/handling costs.

6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Congrats on your purchase! I love my Ti Book, anyway check out Powerbookmedic.com. Thats where I bought my new battery and it works great. They also sell hinges with how to installation instructions. :D

7. maxp1 macrumors regular

The hinges are a bit of a pain to replace. You have to bend up the casing for the screen and scrape out the old glue and re-epoxy it back down when you're done. The glue that's used is an integral part of the strenght of the hinge.

8. Josh2449 thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy I was supposed to be getting the computer from is scamming me, I think. I senth him the money the MAY 29th, and didnt hear from him for like a week, and then he said he was going to send it out and havent received the package and he hasnt responded to any of my emails..