Battery problem? Hasn't been asked before I promise...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xtian44, Aug 22, 2010.

1. xtian44 macrumors newbie

Urgh, I am stressed about my computer. It won't turn on. I'll give all the details I think may be relevant.

For a while, my MBP hasn't had great battery proformance. When unplugged, the battery life is really short and when it would occasionally die because of no battery, it would take a while for it to get enough battery power to power on again (not right away). But, because I was poor (like I am still) I just let it slide.

Recently, the magsafe power cord I was using frayed at the tip and stopped working. So, I sort of stole/borrowed my roommates. Her's had weird issues with the light, where it would charge the battery but there would be no light or a very dim light on the magsafe cord tip. I chalked it up to the cords fault, but i don't know if it was or not to be honest.

Today, the computer died due to low battery so I plugged it in to the power cord. It charged for a long time and the battery indicator light showed almost full power, yet the computer wouldn't power on. Nothing, no wurring, no noise, just a cold laptop. So I left it on the charger for another hour. I come back and its the same, except this time, the battery indicator lights show nothing. I press the battery indicator light and all the lights come on, but then just go off. I'm thinking its just the cord, so i borrow another persons cord. Nothing. I try to reboot stuff, nothings working. On a side not, when i plugged in the other power cord, the magsafe tip turns full green, no issues.

I'm thinking its the battery, except that if I take the battery out and just use the ac cord, the computer still won't turn on, with either cord I use. This worries me a lot.

I just had something replaced about 3 months ago, but I can't remember what it was, a logic board or some sort of card? I was turning the computer on but wasn't getting any picture... doesn't seem to be the same problem but maybe they're related?

Anyway, my laptop is my life, so I really need to figure this out. Any advice is welcome!

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

the charger was the same wattage right? just making sure

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

Just because the light is green doesn't mean that the adapter is actually supplying any power at all to the laptop.

If there's ONE power adapter that will run your machine fine, then your machine is fine. All other power adapters are suspect. Like the previous poster pointed out, your machine may require the 85 watt adapter, and the other adapters may not be. Remove the AC cord from the brick, and underneath, it says the wattage.

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Detrius- Just a quick question, sorry OP. Is the magsafe adapter to my two year old MBP usable on the new unibody i7 I am waiting to receive? I usually have a back up in my computer bag when I travel so I don't have to crawl under my desk to disconnect everything from my MBP.

5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

as long as the wattage is the same then yes, it is the same end just a little different style, it sounds like something is gone, not the battery though it should boot up, even if it dies after 5 minutes it should boot, batteries don't generally just stop, they wear down slowly, sounds like your power buttons broken and its just not receiving the sign, but that is highly unlikely hmmm i am not sure i would suggest trying your os boot up disks, if that does not work take it to a apple store.