Battery Problem - Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sdahe, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello Guys,

I have a new unibody MBP that is having something not right with the battery. This computer is like 2 or 3 months new...

The problem is that the battery is not lasting what it says in the battery meter. It says 5 hours and in 30 minutes goes to 2 hours....

2. celticpride678

Like the previous poster said, try calibrating the battery. Also, try a SMC reset.

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thanks... I will try that... I never done it

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Calibrating probably has nothing to do with it. What's probably happening is that you turn on your machine on a full charge and see that you have 5.5 hours remaining... if you just left your computer as-is with nothing running. Then you open Safari and start watching Youtube videos and see that the battery indicator is now at 2 hours.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibrating has everything to do with inaccurate reporting of the battery's condition. The OP said nothing about the time remaining changing, which it does constantly, based on the current load on the battery. The OP said the meter is showing 5 hours but doesn't last that long. That's clearly a calibration issue.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Re-read, please. "It says 5 hours and in 30 minutes goes to 2 hours" = "The battery reading originally states it will last for five hours, but after a half hour of using the machine the battery reading says it will last for 2 hours longer." In other words the entire issue is about "time remaining." The assumption that there is something wrong with how the software reports the remaining calibration is based on incomplete information at best, and is just a totally irrelevant suggestion at worst.

I realize that the knee-jerk reaction to every battery post is "you should calibrate your battery" but sometimes it just gets a little ridiculous.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a knee-jerk reaction. It's a first step in troubleshooting battery issues. If they called Apple with the same question, the first question they'd probably hear is "have you calibrated your battery?" Obviously, it was appropriate advice: