Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sequence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Hey guys, I'm having a very, very weird problem. Today I left for work and my Macbook stayed at home turned on in Windows Vista with the AC Adapter unplugged. After I came back, about 8 hours after the laptop doesn't seem to recognize the battery at all... Instead of a percentage in the battery logo, there's a "X" sign. The LED on the magsafe connector is always green, just like if the battery was fully charged, if I unplug the connector, no matter how long it has been plugged in the laptop turns off instantly... Also, when I press on the battery button, the LED blinks very fast several times (about 10 times).

I tryed resetting the PRAM, and the PMU but there's no change at all. I've also unplugged the battery / plugged it back while the laptop is turned on and I don't see any change either.

Anyone ever had this problem before? Should I wait a couple of hours with the AC adapter plugged in? I've been so unlucky with this laptop... It's rev A macbook... It came from Apple with a broken LCD, they replaced the LCD. Then I started to get the discoloration problem and they replaced the top case. One speaker stopped working and they replaced it as well, then I noticed that the Ethernet plug doesn't work at all (I don't use it, I have an Airport Base Station) and now the battery. I don't understand why they don't offer me a total replacement as mine always have problems no matter how much I take care of it.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I unwittingly sold a MacBook that had this problem. With about 99% certainty, it's the battery. You'll have to call AppleCare and get a new one.

Did you participate in the battery exchange program? If not, then you've probably got one of the duds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.