Battery Problem with new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ifti, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I purchased my MBP about a week ago now.
    Ive fully calibrated the battery, but I cannot achieve a 100% charge. It stops and says the battery is fully charged at 98 or 99%.

Battery has had 2 cycles.

iStat Pro shows battery health at 94%
    CoconutBattery shows the Battery Charge at 98% (even though its plugged in and fully charged), and the battery capacity is 93%!!

Do I have a battery issue??

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's normal for your battery reading to not be 100%. This question has been answered thousands of times.

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes but should the battery capacity be at 93% when it is only 2 weeks old and has a charge cycle of 2??

My previous MBP had a charge cycle of over 260 and still had a health of 95%...!

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

That doesn't sound good I had a MacBook pro with 2 years and my health was at 99, if I was you I would exchange it

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I wouldn't pay much attention to those battery health estimates.
    Besides, lithium ion batteries need a few cycles to get up to max capacity.

6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Im going to pop into the Apple store - have an appointment with a Genuis later. A bit out of the way, but I'd rather have it checked otherwise it will bug me!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.
    It's normal that your battery may stop charging between 93-99%. For details, read the CHARGING section of the following link.

Yes, it is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    This is normal with 2012 models, as discussed here.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

8. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Took my laptop in to a Genius today. My hunch was correct.
    They ran a hardware diagnostic and noticed the battery charge was below normal, at a level not expected with only 2 cycles.
    They asked me if I wanted a whole new laptop or the battery exchanged!! Was happy with the laptop otherwise so they changed the battery, which is now at normal status. Both iStat Pro and Coconut report it as 99% now.

----------

The above article has been updated to include all 2012 MacBook Pro models, including the retina MBP.