Battery problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meteoreos, Jan 26, 2017.

1. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

Hi

So I managed to get a brand new MacBook Pro 15" (2015, with dGPU) from a retailer that had it in stock a few weeks ago. It was the last one they had. I had been looking all over for this model as Apple do not sell it anymore, so obviously I was content.

However, the battery life has been awful to say the least.

I can't get more than 6 hours from simply browsing using Safari. I then downloaded Coconut Battery so see what I could deduce. Apparently, the battery is over 300 days old. Also, I have around 20 cycles now from use, and battery health is at 96%. I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound good.

Would Apple replace the battery? It's still under warranty and I don't really want to return it. I know their policy is not to replace batteries that have over 80% health.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I don't think they'd replace it yet, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. 6 hours from only Safari isn't great for the 2015. What screen brightness are you using? What does Activity Monitor or Coconut Battery show about what programs are using your energy?

3. meteoreos thread starter macrumors regular

meteoreos

I use four clicks, so not bright at all.

Activity monitor doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. I'm 100% sure that it is due to the fact that the battery is 300 days old. It was in the retailer's warehouse since April 2016.

Also, when I picked up my MacBook from my desk today, I could hear something move around. So I moved it around side to side very lightly, and there's definitely something loose inside. Is that enough grounds for them to service it?

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

There have been reports of a noise in the screen of some new MBPs that Apple has generally treated as normal, so whether they would want to take a look at your noise I don't know. But if you're near an Apple Store, you could take it in and see them at the Genius Bar and find out!