Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ok, i have a C2D MBP 15". according to coconut battery, my battery had a health of 97%. less than 2 weeks later, it now says 88%, and it seems it went from 97% to 88% in one day.

the computer is only 4 months old.

is there anything i can do?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
You should try calibrating. Basically just unplug your lappy and run it down to 0 battery life, and it will go to sleep. Then plug it back in and charge back up to full capacity. See what coconut battery tells you then.

Cheers :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
You should try calibrating. Basically just unplug your lappy and run it down to 0 battery life, and it will go to sleep. Then plug it back in and charge back up to full capacity. See what coconut battery tells you then.

Cheers :)

thanks, i'll do that.

but i take it class everyday, and on tuesdays and thursdays, i get the battery run down pretty good, but not all the way.

i think i have 42 cycles. is this bad?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
42 cycles isn't that much. I had my iBook battery run down to around 60% around 300-400 cycles. 88% isn't that huge a drop to be honest. Your battery is supposed to retain at least 80% charge capacity for a certain number of cycles. I can't remember what apple guarantees nowadays.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
42 cycles isn't that much. I had my iBook battery run down to around 60% around 300-400 cycles. 88% isn't that huge a drop to be honest. Your battery is supposed to retain at least 80% charge capacity for a certain number of cycles. I can't remember what apple guarantees nowadays.

yeah, but 11% in one day! it didn't go 97%..96%...etc, it went 97%...88% :eek:

before i could go 2 classes on one battery, and still have an hour left. today i barely made it....less than 20 minutes left

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I've got a 6month old CD MacBook which has done 90 battery cycles, and has 94% battery capacity according to CoconutBattery.

Just saying so for reference.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
"is there no one else!" - Maximus

anyways, i guess not. i'm up to 44 cycles and now it says 87%. still terrible, but at least it didn't go down from 86%.

misam

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
Near Seattle
Wait until it gets below 80% capacity, then call or take it in to an Apple store. I took mine in when it was at 92 loadcycles and 44% battery and they replaced it.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
If you call Apple, they will tell you to calibrate your battery, so you might as well do so first.
Follow the instructions here closely.

For the record, I think that you will see an improved battery life after you have calibrated it. The battery needs to be calibrated, so the computer can accurately calculate the battery capacity. You battery capacity might very well be greater than what you mac tells you.

shifeng

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2006
I have the same problem which I posted on another thread. Everytime I calibrate my battery which is about once a month, the maximum capacity goes down by 1%. And the thing is the battery is less than 20 load cycles and it's at 90% now. I've brought it in once and i'm going to bring it in again soon because now my macbook shuts down whenever I open Bittorrent.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
dont forget to leave the computer unplugged and at sleep for 5 hours before recharging to properly calibrate. No one else here mentioned it so I thought i'd chime in.

shifeng

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2006
yes I did that. I leave it overnight till I wake up which is definitely more than 5 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.