Battery problems after upgrading to Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by applefan97, Oct 26, 2013.

1. applefan97 macrumors member

I upgraded my mid-2009 MacBook Pro to Mavericks from Snow leopard and have been getting dismal battery life ever since ,and I thought Mavericks was supposed to improve battery life.The battery % is dropping 1% every 2 minutes and that too while browsing the web(checking mail,Facebook...etc) I am not even watching videos or movies.....Am I the only one experiencing decrease in battery life.I used to ge a lot better battery life when on snow leopard .Is there anything I can do to fix this problem.And also my Mac is set at the lowest brightness level.

Thanks in advance

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

That's not the usual experience, so something must be wrong. I'm getting massively increased battery life on a 2009 MacBook.

Use Activity Monitor to see what apps are using the most Energy. Click on the Energy tab and sort the table by Energy Impact.

3. applefan97, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

applefan97 thread starter macrumors member

According to Activity Monitor ,Safari is using the most energy,but that's normal because i have been using it for the past couple of hours.I don't find anything strange in Activity Monitor.

4. Abner Abbey macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem, too. I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 13" and I recetly upgraded to Mavericks.
    My problem is when battery is at full charge, activity monitor marks 8:30 hours of battery life, after 20 mins doing almost nothing, it marks 2:15 hours remaining. And it starts decreasing battery life and it reaches 0% in less than 2 hours.
    What can I do??

----------

It's I have instead I had.

5. applefan97 thread starter macrumors member

I just did a SMC reset and it seems to improve my battery life to an extent.

6. Abner Abbey macrumors newbie

I did the same and even repaired disk permissions, but it didn't work. My mac is making a lot of noise so I'm going to install Mavericks from the Beginning

7. phervas macrumors newbie

same problem with macbook air 11" 2012

i have the exact same problem with my mid 2012 macbook air 11"

i used to get more than 4 - 5 hours, now less than 2. spotlight finished indexing my system a couple days ago.

i did a fresh install not un upgrade