Battery problems on 2008 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frazz, Jul 25, 2009.

1. frazz macrumors newbie

I've been using my MBP for about a year now, and I usually use it with the adapter plugged in. Recently though, I started using the battery more, and I noticed that the battery started dying with one hour of life left, almost exactly. I checked the little LED deal thing on the battery itself, and it gave only the one blinking light (indicating zero charge, I think). Lately it's been getting worse and dying after 20 or so minutes of use. Is there anything I can do, or should I call in my warranty?
    Unfortunately I have a Best Buy warranty (I know, I know), so I thought I'd post here before I go to them.

Thanks a bunch!

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried calibrating it? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

It also depends on what you have running. If you have more GPU intensive apps open, it'll drain the battery like nobody's business. If you're just surfing the web and reading email, however, it shouldn't be too low. If calibrating doesn't seem to help it at all, off to BB I suppose.

3. frazz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just using the internet lightly, yes. Either way, my understanding is that the battery should read some small amount of time left before dying, and give one of those warnings saying "save your work" or whatever. In my case, it is doing neither, it just randomly goes into sleep when the battery reads more than an hour of life left.

I'll try calibrating it though.

4. frazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Calibrating didn't work, I had to get a replacement battery. Thanks everybody for the help.

(I hope I'm not reviving a too-old topic, but I didn't want to be rude.)