Battery problems with 13' 2011 base model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by t0mm, Apr 14, 2011.

1. t0mm macrumors regular

I bought my MacBook Pro around a month ago and I have enjoyed it as much as I can so far.

However, the battery life seems to depreciate so so quickly.

I turned my MBP on two hours ago and my battery is already at 18%.

I do not run anything intensive, all I have open at the moment is Skype (in a call, no video), Windows messenger running in the background and three safari tabs open.

I'm lucky to get 4 hours out of the battery on a good day. Obviously it's advertised as 7...

I am going to ring apple tomorrow and see what I can do, I cannot travel to an apple store as It is too far away and I don't have time to commute.

If apple decide to act does anyone know what will happen, will they replace my MBP or just ask me to send it in so they can check/swap out the battery?

I don't really want to have to restore it or anything....

Please advise me if this is at all normal which I highly doubt...

*as I'm ending this message my battery is now on 16%*

2. simsaladimbamba

Also have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. t0mm thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing major, I'm only using 25% of my cpu at the moment.

It doesn't seem right does it?

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If the websites you visit are running flash it will eat into the battery life greatly. Make sure you have the latest flash version as that helps on battery life and install the clicktoflash Safari add in as it helps (can be installed through the preferences for Safari under the Extensions tab.

5. t0mm thread starter macrumors regular

MacRumors, Gmail and BBC! No flash! :(

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

BBC is pretty processor intensive from what I can tell. I just went there and the updates on the site (such as scrolling banners and such) saw my processor usage jump as high as 25-27% and a complete refresh of the site or move to a new section (such as from front page to sports) caused usage to jump upwards of 50 percent usage. All of these were short burst measure made with iStat. I am running a 2011 2.3 i7 15", so your usage may even be more or less accordingly.

7. t0mm thread starter macrumors regular

I rang Apple today and they said it could be flash player because this version wasn't 'designed' correctly.

I have deleted it and it stands true, the battery seems to be lasting a hell of a lot longer, the only downside now is, does anyone know how I can play youtube videos?!

8. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

Look for a Safari Plug in called "Click to Flash" , essentially it doesnt allow flash to run (banner ad, youtube) until you click on it.

9. t0mm thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! i installed it but when i click 'play flash' it doesn't work?

10. Koning macrumors member

Go to youtube.com/html5 and enable HTML5 support. This will make sure youtube doesn't use flash but HTML5, which is way less 'pressing' on the battery life.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I hate flash. It hogs up wayyy to many system resources, especially on our systems. A CPU at 25% will drain pretty quickly; 2 hours isn't all that off. The goal of running on a battery power is to use as few of resources as possible, and to keep the CPU as close to idle as possible. Reducing the brightness, turning off hard disks (when possible), and avoiding certain programs also help, but if you use Flash it is a monster.

What do you guys like best for FF4 as an add on to block flash?