Battery problems with 4 week old MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Burrel, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Burrel macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have a new 13" MBP and so far I'm not really impressed with the battery. I find myself needing to charge it around every 3-4 hours rather than every 7 hours.

Also, after closing the lid and therefore sending it into sleep mode, when I next open it the battery has died. Not every single time but it has happened 4 or 5 times so far, and to be honest with you I didn't expect this to happen at all.

CoconutBattery says it's currently 92%. Is this right for a MBP that's only 4 weeks old?

The current energy saving settings for battery are:

Computer sleep - 15 mins
    Display sleep - 15 mins
    All others boxes are ticked.

Does this sound right to you more experienced MBP owners?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If that 92% reading was accurate, which it very likely isn't (it fluxes a lot), then it would be abnormal. You haven't specified usage, so we can't determine whether 4 hours is good or not. 7 is based on surfing the web lightly with wifi on and half brightness I believe (details are in small print on Apple store site).

3. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Apple claim calibration isn't required anymore, but that doesn't mean it won't do anything. Worth trying that too I suppose.

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Doesn't sound right to me, I would take it to an Apple Store and see what they say. I've never had one time when sleeping with the lid shut has drained the battery and I've been doing that every day for years. I just checked my old MBP which has been asleep for a couple of weeks and it's still at 90%.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It shouldn't drain the battery more than a few percent when it goes to sleep. If it did, there may have been some process running that prevented it from properly going to sleep.