Battery problems?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jmenning1, Jun 25, 2012.

1. jmenning1 macrumors newbie

I have the new I pad and here is a list of symptoms:

1) Ipad is very hot when charging

2) the battery seems to drain alot when in off position
    eg. 44% in 4 hours.

I've pretty well turned off the wifi at the settings and discontinued the notifications. Should I take it to the APPLE Store? Can they tell if the battery is defective?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Sorry to tell you but all of that could be normal. You could get it replaced but I think you'll get similar results. If you are charging the battery while using your iPad 3 then yeah it could get on the warm side i.e. very warm. ;)

I also tend to get a nice drop off in sleep mode. My fix for that is to put my iPad 3 in Airplane Mode. That solved it for me.

If you try all of the above and the results are the same then yeah you could have a defective battery. But I would try the above first so you aren't disappointed if your replacement iPad does the same thing.

3. Alec Shaw macrumors newbie

Yeah it is normal to have warming iPad while charging. There is no need of worrying. But for battery life i would say that brightness has a big influence on battery life. So better turn your brightness down, you will get longer battery life.

4. Kaydin macrumors member

@Rodster: If you consider draining 44% in 4 hours, normal, then you should read some battery threads.

The OP said it's draining in "off position" = sleep mode.

Go into Settings=>Location Services=>System Services=>Turn off "Setting Timezone".

5. TheRazz macrumors newbie

I noticed my iPad draining a lot and wouldn't last near the 10 hours or more I saw reported by other new iPad owners. My issue was my brightness, and I believe plays a huge role with this iPad due to the screen. I now keep my iPad at 50% brightness at all times compared to my previous 100% and my battery lasts more than the 10 hours. Sometimes going days without a charge.
    Also for the case of it draining in sleep mode:
    If it's jailbroken check for any tweaks that may be the issue.
    If not then check for any of your apps that are using location settings at all times(location arrow will be in your status bar) or anything checking for push notifications, turn them off especially for apps you don't frequently use.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yup I knew exactly what the OP meant. As I mentioned to another user putting the iPad in Airplane mode keeps the iPad from draining it's battery by turning off all background wireless and 3G communications.

If I put my iPad in Airplane mode my iPad will drain it's battery by 1-2 percent within 24 hours.