Battery Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sissco, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Sissco macrumors newbie

Experts:

I'm now very concerned with my mac.

I've noticed over the last few days that My battery power isn't as good as it once was and I only got the Mac just before the beginning of summer. Today I've turned on the Mac and went onto the internet (were I play www.tribalwars.net) and I noticed that my Battery power was at 13%. Next thing you know - after less than five minutes a wee "your battery needs to be recharged" message came up and I looked and saw that the Battery had fallen to a mere 8%. I played around for another two minutes and before you know it - at 8% battery power the Mac shut itself down and I had to plug the charger in. which is what I'm running on now. Also when I switched the mac back on with charger plugged in the battery had fallen from 8% - 1%. At this moment - about three to five minutes later it's at 7 percent.

I'm also noticing that sometimes - especially here - www.tribalwars.net - were' they've moved to a new server - that some sites are very slow - well slow-ish. This site, for example is slow in the sense that my typing seems to be slow-ish!

So I've come to three conclusions in which I'm hoping you experts can advise me upon.

1) I'm using my mac and I'm charging it too often - Sometimes I've to charge the Mac twice a day!!!

2) Charging my Mac while I'm using it may not be a good idea.

3) I may <Big shock and horror> have a virus... the very thing I fear.

At this moment in time after typing all this my mac battery power has risen from 7% - 12%!!! Oh, and there's what I'd describe as an "Engine sound" comming from inside the mac.

Please advise me

A very unhappy Philip

2. Sissco thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry to be rude people, but is no one able to advise me? I'm still on the Charger and it's now at 38%!

I hope I wasn't rude

Philip

3. fervent macrumors newbie

Download some software

Get iStat, from apple/downloads, its a widget. Or coconut battery. The programs tell you how many cycles you have went through on the battery, your charge %, etc. Try the simple stuff and check activity monitor to see how hard your CPU is workin on Max batt usage and Min. If you want you can also get ClamXav, which is a AV. Its also free.

4. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

System profiler also tells you about battery cycles.