Battery question after replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Labhras, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Labhras macrumors regular

Hi all,
    one month ago I had my MBA's battery replaced as it was displaying the "service battery" alert, and being less 80% of residual charge well within the 1000 cycles foreseen by Apple, I was expecting battery duration to go back to the 12h limit.
    The maximum I see in the battery section in the menubar is 6h remaining, with almost no software running, while with the first battery I had between 6 and 8 hours with the usual programs running.

Do you have any idea of what might be wrong, if something is?
    Thank you all

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Get something like Coconut battery or run the command "ioreg -l -w0 |grep Capacity". Then compare the design capacity you should have to the full charge capacity you are getting. A new battery will be 100% or slightly over.

You can also research what capacity your laptop should have, if you feel they gave you the wrong battery.

3. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

I use battery health and after some time when it was down at 95% (6800mAh or so) now it's at 100% with 7130mAh with a design capacity of 7150mAh.
    I have a 13" MBA, when I got this laptop I easily had 12h of autonomy, going to 15h when not running energy consuming programs or videos, etc.
    My problem is how many hours I'm getting out of this battery - no matter what situation and how many programs running, it's never more than 4-6h of expected autonomy.
    Do you think it's because the laptop is in fact 2 years old? I thought I would get back my 12h with a new battery.
    Or maybe should I do some spring cleaning somewhere?

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The age shouldn't matter, as there is nothing to wear out and slow down. What is important is what you use it for. It could be that you had a different workload once upon a time. The web used to be easier to run, for example.

You could do a clean, but the only guarantee is to wipe everything and start fresh.

You could see what takes the most energy in Activity Monitor, and try running without the top 3 to see if there is a change. Chrome is famous for using lots of energy and memory.

5. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Where did you get the battery from? Apple or alternative supplier?

6. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

My workload is pretty much the same as before, nothing has really changed.
    Yesterday I tried with no programs running and the estimated battery life was still around 6h.
    The battery is original Apple with the same design capacity my previous one had.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You mention "estimated battery life"...
    How long does your battery actually last in real use?

8. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the "time remaining" you get when you click on the battery icon in the menubar. I know it's not always precise, but it has always given me a pretty good margin to work with.
    What I mention is that in the "time remaining" I now never get the 10-12h I used to have with a new battery, but only around 6h.
    I never exactly calculated the actual usage but I'd say that after 4 hours of use I'm around 30-40%

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I'm not asking about "calculating" anything, but simply use your MBAir, and see how long your battery actually lasts in normal use.
    Keep in mind that Apple has removed that particular estimate, partly because it is quite unreliable, and later macOS systems seemed to make that estimating task worse.