Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsaint182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
New MBP user here. I love the thing so far:) What effect does leaving the MBP plugged in after a full charge have?

So far, I charge it fully, take it off the charger, and run it on battery almost all the way (til about 10%.) Then I plug it up again, and repeat. But this way I use about 2 cycles per day (I use my laptop a lot.) I want to start running it on the plug sometimes, so I don't burn through so many cycles so quickly. But how much "on the plug" use is too much?

On Apple's site, it says: "For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing."

Does this mean I can leave it plugged in for the majority of the time I'm using it - as long as I run the battery a little as well, enough to make sure the electrons "get some exercise?" I'm really cautious about this battery stuff because I ruined my Dell laptop battery. I left it plugged in too much.

Thanks in advance!
Take care.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Apple's explanation of "keeping the electrons moving" is not only vague, but has no basis in experimental fact. Electrons are always moving. It is perfectly fine to keep your MBP plugged in after your battery is fully charged. I've had batteries last years with very few charge cycles. I've also had batteries last years with many cycles.

In the end, it's not worth worrying about. The battery "warranty" on the built-in batteries is very good. Odds are it won't even be an issue.

redsaint182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Okay, thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the quick, helpful replies.

Take care :)

Derango

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
The general advice I've found is use it however the heck you want. Just try to at least run the battery down every month or so if you DO keep it charged fully most of the time.

Lithium Polymer batteries are really robust and not much is going to damage it. Just use it how you want to.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Don't worry about it. If you don't move your laptop at all, leave it plugged in, and drain once a month is fine. I used to keep it plugged in 24/7 when i worked at home. Now I'm more out and about, I don't see any difference in "battery health"

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does this mean I can leave it plugged in for the majority of the time I'm using it - as long as I run the battery a little as well, enough to make sure the electrons "get some exercise?" I'm really cautious about this battery stuff because I ruined my Dell laptop battery. I left it plugged in too much.
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
my battery health is at 100% after 4 weeks. I leave it plugged in 92.793% of the time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
my battery health is at 100% after 4 weeks. I leave it plugged in 92.793% of the time.
Have you calibrated it? (And I'll bet you're exaggerating! You probably don't leave it plugged in any more than 92.789%! :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.