Battery question MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sck1, Aug 8, 2009.

1. sck1 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I am now thinking of buying a Mac (for the first time, woo..). The two models I'm thinking about is Mac Mini (high-end) and MBP 13" (low-end).

It'll most of the time act as a desktop, I have an external 24" monitor which I'll connect it to.

What will happend to the battery if I use the power adapter too much on the MBP? Can it somehow damage it due to overcharging or does it disconnect the battery and just run with the power adapter?

The specs are pretty much the same for the same price.

Anyone know how the battery works?

-- sck1

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I does not disconnect the battery... there will be a small amount of wear on it from running it only on the power adapter. It's still advisable to go through a charge cycle every week or so.

The battery will degrade slowly from use like you're describing and as it simply gets older - there's not really anything you can do about that. But it's not really anything to worry about either.

3. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

You cant overcharge the battery. When it is 100% charged, it will stop charging. As the battery leaks energy, its % charge will go down, and when it gets below 95% power, it will recharge back to 100%

If I were you, I would get the mac mini over the MPB. If you want a desktop, buy a desktop. Only buy a laptop if you want portability.

I don't know where you're getting your pricing info, but the low end 13" MBP has:
    2.26 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive for $1199

The Mini has (specked out):
    2.26 GHz, $ GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive for $1049 (+$100 for the keyboard and mouse if you choose)

Much better deal with the Mini if you're not needing portability

4. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Buy the MBP. Even if 1 time you'll need the portability and you buy the mini you won't have it.

If you are worried that it'll have less RAM and smaller HDD... I just bought a 500GB HDD for $90. And in an year the 8GB kid will be about $100. Then I'll max out the RAM also. And will have a great portable machine :D

5. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Considering that it costs $800 for an 8GB kit right now...I think you're smoking something.

6. DivineEvil macrumors regular

I sad "... in an year..."

7. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

and do you even really NEED 8GB, if you're not sure then I can assure you that you don't.

8. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Yeah, and you think that the prices are going to drop to 1/8 of what they are now!

And Dan, you're probably right. If you NEED 8 GB RAM, then you'll need something better than a 2.26 GHz Dual Core processor too. Unless you're doing detailed photoshopping on a full sized poster, or like to have super quick VMs, then 8GB is just not necessary atm