battery question, when to unplug?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trance, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

i read the battery faqs it recommends i should use my laptop without the a/c adapter most of the time (unplugged)
    on apple site it says "Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal".

So use my laptop unplugged all the time until i need a charge?
    could I keep it plugged all the time and drain the battery once a month?

new laptop user here i need help understanding this :(

2. eternalife macrumors regular

DON'T let the battery get to you. Your laptop is a tool for you to use. Use it as you see fit. It should fit into your life and daily schedule (not define them). If you are worried about not charging the battery there will be times when you leave the house and the battery isn't charged - then what. Mine is always charging until I need to move away from a plug. Nor worries. Today's batteries are so much more sophisticated than they use to be. Just enjoy your machine and forget about the battery.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Both is not ideal. You don't need to drain it completely either actually that isn't very good anyway and only necessary for calibration something you should need to do more often than every 2-4 months.
    If you use it plugged most of the time. Just unplug it occasionally (like every week 2-3 times) let it drain a little to anywhere between 30-80% and plug it in again.
    But really just use it however you want to. The battery will die if you use it, it will die if you don't use it and everything in between. If you don't use it, you won't need it either and it really doesn't matter. And if you use it, you need it and when it is starting to die you will replace it.
    I wouldn't waste my time trying to maximize batter lifetime when quite big part is just luck and getting a good battery and the next biggest part is your needs and really the rest is just insignificant.