Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spoccka, May 27, 2011.

1. spoccka macrumors member

I'm going to get a Macbook Pro pretty soon. I know that for laptops in general there is a number of Battery Charge/Recharge cycles before there would be a drop in battery life or whatever.

I know it's possible to get around this by removing the battery when using the power supply, but I understand the MBP's isn't removeable. So when I'm using the laptop just through the mains is the battery being used and its life shortened?

Its more of an issue because I have a usb DJ mixer which stupidly has no external power supply. I don't want it to eat my new laptop!

Cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, battery life begins to deteriorate from the beginning. Apple notebook batteries that are built-in are designed to retain up to 80% of their original capacity for 1000 cycles. That doesn't mean the battery is dead if it's below 80%. With proper care, your battery can outlast your need for your MBP.
    No, that doesn't get around it, and it's not advisable to run without the battery in, even if you could.
    Run on battery when you need to. Plug into AC when you can. Just don't run it on AC power all the time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: