Battery Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by socbrian, Jul 5, 2011.

1. socbrian macrumors regular

I know it all depends on what you do and the settings, but I had my iphone replaced because the home bottom stopped working and I feel this iphone battery just drains. I set it up new so it cant me the restore from back up issue. I have brightness around 45% and adjust to room. Have 3 emails all with fetch every 30(one is exchange for calenders and contacts also) and have just been checking twitter every 30 mins and playing line birds for max 30 mins total so far today. Also maybe sent around 10 texts and received around 15. Unplugged it at 7:20 to leave for work and this is what im at already

You guys think this is normal or should i try and get another replacement?

photo.PNG

2. mms13 macrumors 6502

Hmm, personally I think a 32% drain after 1:40 usage seems a little much.
    I'm at 81% right now after 2:30 usage.

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I did the exact same thing yesterday. I took it in for the battery and the home button. He replaced it for the home button.

My new one is currently at 4:30 hours of usage with 17% left. I'm hoping for 6or 7 hours of usage. And I'm told that you should let the battery drain once and recharge to let it calibrate.

I'd say yours is cause for concern.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I think i've repeated this statement in like 20 threads.. haha

Anyway, Apple will not replace a phone if it is getting at least 5 hours of usage on an average basis. They figure that is enough solid usage for the battery. There is also no point in going in and lying to them because they have access for the previous 2 weeks of battery information when they run diagnostics on the phone. Just watch your usage from 100-0% over the next two weeks, if it is above 5 hours you have a good battery.

5. potpotsie macrumors newbie

potpotsie

Your iPhone should be lasting longer

Here is a list i pulled together a while back. I suggest you activate as many of these factors as possible. I have noticed extreme change in battery life.

**IMPORTANT**
    *before doing any of the following be sure to first back-up, transfer purchases, and sync your I-device with iTunes on your computer*

•When wifi is not in use, switch airplane Mode to "on" (settings)

•Full restore of iPod (iTunes)

•Reset "network settings" (settings<general<reset)

•Hold sleep/wake button until red slider comes on top of the screen slide it to power off.

•Lowering brightness recommended 25% (settings<brightness)

•Switch on "auto-brightness" (settings<brightness)

•Full charge cycle at least once/month

•Download all updates for apps (AppStore)

•Download all iOS updates (iTunes)

•Shut down any/all apps in your multiple-tasking bar before putting into sleep mode (hit the bottom middle button twice fast then hold your finger on an application for 2 seconds, then hit the little red minus sign on all)

•Shut off "location services" (settings<general)

•Charge device without a case on

•Shut off data push (mail<contacts<calendar<fetch new data)

•Fetch email less often (mail<contacts<calendar<fetch new data)

•Make sure "auto-lock" is set to
    No more than 2 minutes (settings<general<auto-lock)

•Completely deplete battery at least once per month

•Avoid use of sophisticated backgrounds or ultra bright wallpapers

•Shut off "notifications" **NOTE** if you have specific apps that you need alerts from, you can manually select them individually (settings<notifications)

•Do not leave iPod in extreme heat. If iPod is experiencing heat for whatever reason, take it out of that environment, and let it take a "cool-down" session

**IMPORTANT**
    It is ok to let a few of these settings stay on. Just not a lot of them. If you follow these changes, your battery guaranteed will have hours of extra life added on.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If we assume the exact same kind of usage for the rest of the day then mathematically you'll probably get:

5.2 hours use
    +14 hours standby

19.2 hours total life

I honestly don't see that as something Apple will replace. I have to charge my phone every day when I get home from work. It looks like you'll make it even further than I do.

This is the iPhone forum. Simply pasting iPod advice isn't the best idea...I don't think the OP would appreciate it when no calls come through all day if he followed this advice.

7. socbrian thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys. I might try and bring it in, because the home button is spastic. it just sucks that i know when the genius holds the phone the home button will not falter when he tries it and seeing your posts about 5hr a day i wont get them to change it on on just battery alone.

but thanks everyone