Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I have a late 2006 MBP, i just purchased a new battery for it a little over a year ago. Now the battery has 285 cycles on it and current battery capacity is at 2287 mAh when original capacity is 5500 mAh, so it shows its at 41% of its original capacity. It also says to service battery. Surely it should last longer than this right? Anyone know what apple will and will replace when it comes to batteries?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a late 2006 MBP, i just purchased a new battery for it a little over a year ago. Now the battery has 285 cycles on it and current battery capacity is at 2287 mAh when original capacity is 5500 mAh, so it shows its at 41% of its original capacity. It also says to service battery. Surely it should last longer than this right? Anyone know what apple will and will replace when it comes to batteries?
Your battery should retain up to 80% of its capacity for up to 300 cycles. However, all bets are off, as you're no longer covered by warranty. Take it to Apple and see if they'll do you a favor by replacing it without charge. Don't hold your breath. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I have the same MBP, and I also purchased a new battery around the same time. I haven't used mine nearly us much as you (computer stays on my desk most of the time) so it hasn't lost nearly as much charge, but it's still pretty poor-- I get about 2 hours of runtime.

Problem is, Apple batteries prior to the Unibodies used Sony cells, which were notorious for being crap. I've heard that following Apple's guidelines for properly conditioning batteries to the letter makes a huge difference for some, but others have reported conditioning with no success.

One thing I do that I believe has prevented my newer battery from getting any worse is I remove it from the computer when it's going to be sitting on my desk for awhile, and replace it with the old one (used to last 40, now lasts ~20 mins).

liya1201

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
Just got back from an Apple store this afternoon with a brand new battery free from Applecare that will expire next month. The old battery in my early 2008 (Penryn 2.5 GHz) MBP had ~108 cycles with ~74% capacity. It was showing "Service" on the battery menubar. So, I took it to an Apple store where they first zapped the PRAM, connected my MBP with an ethernet cable and booted it from the net. They run a diagnostic program that showed a red exclamation mark on battery icon. The guy in genius bar just decided to replace the old battery with a new one without saying anything...

The new battery has 99% capacity with 1 cycle and I am happy with it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.