Battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shanester, Sep 21, 2011.

1. shanester macrumors newbie

iv looked around and havent found really anything thats exactly like my case, im pretty sure my battery is just gone but i figured i would ask anyway. My battery is at around 8% of its life :p and last night i went to cycle it and it went to sleep and i went to bed assuming the led would just kill it off, to my surprise i wake up to find its still on and when i open up the lid the battery life is at 100% :confused: i finally got it to die after a bit again and it never completly lets me kill it (if i leave it off for a while it seems to just regain some power somehow, now i got it plugged back in and its just sitting at 99% charged and has been there for over a hour now, the charger lights still orange but coconut battery is saying its 100%. am i correct in assuming my battery is just shot?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. shanester thread starter macrumors newbie

ya i tried cycling it and it wouldnt go to sleep on its own it just dies, and if you try and turn it back on it just dies, but if you leave it sitting for say 30 min, it will turn on fine and be at like 50% life again, and im noticing as its sitting here charging at 99% for the past hr or so, the mAh is very slowly going up, so im figuring the battery is just shot and needs to be replaced

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal that the battery can stop charging at 99%. Read the FAQ. Also, did you reset the SMC?

5. shanester thread starter macrumors newbie

well its not that its stop charging, the magsafe is still orange and on the battery its still showing the leds blinking like it is charging, iv never had it do this in the 4 yrs i have owned it

edit: yes i did reset the smc

6. shanester thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so it just sits at 99% saying its charging still, but when i unplug the charger, it goes to 100% and wont drop, no matter how long its on it just sits at 100% coconut battery doesnt show the mAH going down at all, tho when i unplugged it the first time it went up about 20mAh. i put on a video on youtube to see if it would make the % go down, it just played the video for a few min then the laptop just shut off without a warming or anything lol. i think my poor old batt is gone :p tho 4 years is a good run