Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dosbabe, Dec 2, 2011.

1. dosbabe macrumors newbie

dosbabe

I need to replace my battery. I looked at it, and it said Model A1175 laptop battery. There is a huge discrpency in the prices. I see some at Amazon for $27...Apple is selling it for $129. Is this all the same battery? I have a MacBook Pro 15 inch I bought in August of 2008.

2. simsaladimbamba

The cheaper batteries are knockoffs.
    If you value your computer, you should buy the Apple battery for 129 USD.

3. dosbabe thread starter macrumors newbie

dosbabe

What is a knockoff?

4. simsaladimbamba

Normally counterfeit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfeit

The cheaper batteries come from manufacturers not employing the same standards as Apple does in its factories, thus you could damage your Mac with a non Apple battery.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

5. dosbabe thread starter macrumors newbie

dosbabe

I just took a look at ebay. It looks like they are selling geniune apple batteries for $55. Is that also a knock off?

6. simsaladimbamba

I don't know, maybe link to them. Just because a seller sells them as "genuine" doesn't mean they are.

Btw, why do you bold everything? Bolding something is to emphasise on some part of the message, not for the whole message, and bolded text makes reading it a bit harder.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Personally, I wouldn't trust that it would be an actual Apple battery...not for $55. Is saving a few bucks worth it if it might end up damaging your MBP?

And I agree with simsaladimbamba...please stop with the all bold posts. It's not as bad as all caps, but still not fun to read.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Buy an official battery from Apple.

You don't want a) some knock-off that might damage your laptop or malfunction/catch fire or b) some battery that has sat in a store room for years as lithium batteries have a limited life which begins on the day of manufacture.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Even with apple batteries I wouldn't be too sure that they were not sitting on some shelves for a while. It's not very efficient to keep producing small quantities. Does apple give a year of warranty on replacement batteries?

Non-apple products are probably a bad idea. There's one other thread here right now that reports a blown up replacement battery (non apple brand).

10. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

Batteries can be dangerous. I would get mine from apple. Cheap batteries with poor quality control and bad engineering can explode.

11. ssn637 macrumors 6502

DO NOT purchase batteries from any third-party dealers claiming to deliver "new, never used, original Apple parts". I made the mistake of doing so twice over E-Bay and had to return both for refunds. They were obviously refurbished and one of them wasn't even recognized after installation. Someone else on this forum also reported that his order from Fixit came in a refurbished condition and he was furious.