Battery Question

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I've had my MBA for 22 weeks and it has gone through 37 battery load cycles. It presently has maximum capacity equal to 93% of design capacity (it originally had maximum capacity equal to 100% of design capacity). I've search ed a lot and have read many threads on battery performance, but I'm wondering whether this degradation in performance is normal for a 5 month old MBA. Anyone have any thoughts?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I've had my MBA for 22 weeks and it has gone through 37 battery load cycles. It presently has maximum capacity equal to 93% of design capacity (it originally had maximum capacity equal to 100% of design capacity). I've search ed a lot and have read many threads on battery performance, but I'm wondering whether this degradation in performance is normal for a 5 month old MBA. Anyone have any thoughts?
I can say that the 93% isn't really accurate....mine is 23 weeks old and today I'm at 22 cycles....could be more but I tend to leave it plugged in for the most part.....also over the course though my maximum capacity has gone up and down from 93%-97%....Since day One I never saw 100%....have had iStat Pro on and been watching it since first day. I observed the same with my macbook pro when I had it. I wouldn't consider the drop anything until my batter consistently doesn't charge above 95% for over 4+weeks....I had my macbook pro for 8 months total and the maximum capacity went from 92-98% regularly but stuck around 94-95% mostly.

P.S I cycled the batteries on my MacBook Pro and Air at least 1-2 times a month....but Apple says its not required on the newer macbook's....and I think they are right but for piece of mind you can do it once a month....although I did not cycle intentionally...it was more accidentally because at times I would use my macbook's until the battery completely died while I was away from a outlet.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I can say that the 93% isn't really accurate....mine is 23 weeks old and today I'm at 22 cycles....could be more but I tend to leave it plugged in for the most part.....also over the course though my maximum capacity has gone up and down from 93%-97%....Since day One I never saw 100%....have had iStat Pro on and been watching it since first day. I observed the same with my macbook pro when I had it. I wouldn't consider the drop anything until my batter consistently doesn't charge above 95% for over 4+weeks....I had my macbook pro for 8 months total and the maximum capacity went from 92-98% regularly but stuck around 94-95% mostly.

P.S I cycled the batteries on my MacBook Pro and Air at least 1-2 times a month....but Apple says its not required on the newer macbook's....and I think they are right but for piece of mind you can do it once a month....although I did not cycle intentionally...it was more accidentally because at times I would use my macbook's until the battery completely died while I was away from a outlet.
Thanks, this is very helpful info. I also "inadvertently" fully cycle my battery for the same reason! I'll keep a watch on it, but it's good to know that everything is probably fine.