Battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom2893, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Tom2893 macrumors 6502

Tom2893

Does leaving the charger plugged in to the macbook ruin the battery? Ive noticed the charger box thingy sort've shuts down once it reaches 100% and goes cold. I always take it out as soon as it hits 100% but I'm not sure if this is necessary to 'rush' to do it. I have a couple times left the charger in for about 20 minutes when it reached 100%

thanks

2. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Nope ya can leave it on charger. Just drain the battery to 50 percent a couple times a month. Other than that your fine.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, charging stops when the battery is fully charged, whether you leave it plugged in or not. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

4. Tom2893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tom2893

Ahh thanks for all this, I don't need to really worry then. I daily drain the battery from 100-3%

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your normal use requires that, no problem. However, if you can plug in, there is no need to drain your battery like that every day... or at all. Doing so when you don't need to puts unnecessary cycles on your battery.

6. Tom2893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tom2893

oh right yeah i see what you mean, ill probably start to keep the charger in it then because I'm just on my desk with it most of the time tbh. (not travelling that much with it)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you primarily use it at the desk, you can leave it plugged in. Just unplug a few times a week and run on battery power for a few hours, to keep the battery exercised.

8. Tom2893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tom2893

cool thanks