Battery question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by YamahaJ93, Mar 27, 2013.

1. YamahaJ93 macrumors newbie

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I recently just got the iPhone 5 after years with android and let me say this is the best phone I've ever had. Only one issue, the battery. I'm coming off a droid razr maxx so I know the iPhone doesn't have the battery capacity that the droid did but I have been getting around 5 hours of usage before my iPhone dieing and after having everything turned off Bluetooth,wifi,GPS etc. I mean EVERYTHING turned off ,I don't use icloud so thats not the problem. I did a restore today but it seems even worse now its dropping a percent every 30 mins with my phone locked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you. Btw this is my first iPhone

2. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

5 hours sounds right for heavy use with the brightness on full

3. YamahaJ93 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

If it's a new phone you should remember that it takes a few weeks or so for a new battery to hit its stride, so to say. Give it a bit of time with some recharges it'll likely improve. That said, given the battery in the iPhone you will still not get that huge of an improvement. Under "typical" use (with most services on) you can probably shoot for about 6 hours of usage on average, with close to a 1 day of standby. And that's kind of a rough average since it not only depends on usage, but the signal strength of the networks you are using, how often you might be switching signals (WiFi to 3G to LTE to etc.), and all kinds of other things.

5. YamahaJ93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. I was just curious if my usage was normal because searching other threads others usage will be like 9 hours and better with features turned on that I have off

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

9 hours of usage is not that common really--typically it would at least be above average, it not well above average. However, even that depends on the usage. You can listen to a couple of hours of radio/music with the screen off and that would certainly give you a few hours of usage but not use up nearly as much battery as the same number of hours of usage when you are playing an intensive game, or watching a streaming video, or mostly on phone calls during that time.

That's why typically aside from giving some general ideas of an average battery time, threads of the nature where people post their usage/standby times are almost meaningless given how many things (and how much those things) can affect those numbers.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Actually it doesn't, provided that you drain it all the way down 2-3 times to calibrate the metering. That will reduce the 'stride' to more like a couple of weeks tops.

----------

up to 9 hours. It depends on a myriad of factors such as if you have push email or other push apps going, your brightness etc settings. Even the apps that you use as some 3rd party apps are not written so prime and won't shut down properly when they are not in use and go into loops that drain the battery. Even the quality of your cell service can affect your battery

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I might suggest checking Location Services as well. If an app is using Location Services it'll use GPS which draws battery power.

My i5 is jailbroken and I am on 6.1. I get about a full day one one charge (6am to about 11pm) and my iPhone goes on the charger anywhere from around 0 to 30% depending on my use for the day. My WiFi and cellular radios are on (but I use a JB app to switch them depending on if I am on WiFi or not). No BT and I have a minimum amount of apps using Location Services.

9. YamahaJ93 thread starter macrumors newbie