Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Hey guys ;

I have a question. I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011 and its battery sometimes says that Service Battery. Yes I know that it is 3 years old computer and it is usual to do this thing but it happens sometimes and battery draining normally and changes according to my usage of course. But nothing major in the computer about the battery actually and it is normal for 3 years of usage and draining faster. Why is that doing it or what should I do for that ?

Thnx.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey guys ;

I have a question. I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011 and its battery sometimes says that Service Battery. Yes I know that it is 3 years old computer and it is usual to do this thing but it happens sometimes and battery draining normally and changes according to my usage of course. But nothing major in the computer about the battery actually and it is normal for 3 years of usage and draining faster. Why is that doing it or what should I do for that ?

Thnx.

Just because you are not doing something active with your computer doesn't mean it isn't doing something behind your back... It could be indexing the hard drive, downloading updates, or performing other tasks in the background, which uses the CPU, which in turn drains the battery.

You can view this information through a free app called Battery Health on the App Store, or in Activity Monitor under the Energy Tab in Mavericks.

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Sounds good. Keep us posted. You may want to look at getting the battery replaced after all.

You are right. I looked at it and it seems like no problem there. Sometimes does it but not a major time. I believe it is because its gettin little bit old so saying that be cautious to me. I dont think there is problem after all :)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You are right. I looked at it and it seems like no problem there. Sometimes does it but not a major time. I believe it is because its gettin little bit old so saying that be cautious to me. I dont think there is problem after all :)

Alright then. There is no danger to you or your Mac to run it with the dying battery in it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

The "Service Battery" indication can appear when your battery health drops below 80%, even if the battery is otherwise in good condition. It does not necessarily mean your battery is defective or unfit for use.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.