Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wd417, Nov 18, 2015.

1. wd417 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, just got a 12in rMB last weekend, decided to go ahead and upgrade after the costs to repair my old one would just not be worth it and new processors/tech wasn't a major factor in making me want to wait until the 2016 version is released. I really love it so far, like my old laptop, it just works and for the limited needs I have (internet browsing, emails, Microsoft office, video streaming) its perfect. Really like the thin shape and the new keyboard is great. Only cause for concern is the battery. I have seen several threads on here about battery degradation and I have been monitoring it closely using Coconut and have Apple Care for the computer so if it needs to be replaced, not a problem.

My question is regarding sleep mode. Has anyone else noticed that the battery drains significantly even while in sleep mode? Last night I put the machine to sleep at 42% charge, this morning when I loaded it up, it is now at 28%, so 14% charge lost overnight, it was in sleep mode from approximately 12am to 7am. Is this common and anyone else noticed this? Any tips/ways to prevent this from happening or just something that has to be dealt with? Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The thing that kills battery on sleep mode are normally:

- PowerNap! All that background app fetching.
    - USB/iPhones/stuff charging. Really eats up the battery.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202124

Newer Macs like yours can enter a "stand by" mode after three hours and in that mode the battery can last up to 30 days. If it cannot enter stand by mode, it is common to use 1-2% per hour like you are seeing. The note below is from the support doc. link I posted and shows things that prevent stand by mode.

4. Laurie65 macrumors member

Having your iPhone(s) plugged in does drain the battery on your Mac. My 13" MacBook Pro's battery goes down significantly when I have my 5 and 5s plugged in and am using iCloud. How much the battery goes down depends on how long I have the two phones plugged in obviously. Even without the phones plugged in the battery does go down but nothing huge.

5. wd417 thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't have anything plugged into the computer, just turned it to sleep mode from the Apple button in the corner and closed the lid. What is background app fetching?

6. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

That's like updating your news app with the latest news, updating the weather app with the weather, updating Facebook with the latest posts etc..

7. vistokid macrumors 6502

So can you disable this somewhere? I'm having the same issue as the OP.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Just make sure Power Nap is off in preferences - Energy Saver - Battery
    Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 18.12.22.png

If the drain continues you may need to investigate further to find the culprit.

Q-6