battery question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jeffuwee, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jeffuwee macrumors member

jeffuwee

hi i was just wondering: if my macbook is plugged in then does it use the battery power while it simultaneously charges it? or does it directly use power from the plugged in power source and not use the battery at all. i was wondering cause i read a lot of threads where if you use your macbook battery for a certain number of cycles the battery life goes down dramatically. i was hoping that if for the majority of my ownership i have it plugged in i could avoid this problem. thanks for any replies!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

When the battery is full, it is completely bypassed and is not used.

TEG

3. jeffuwee thread starter macrumors member

jeffuwee

ah okay that's what i needed to know. so best way is to just plug it in at all times right?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yep, but if you want to be extra safe, you can remove the battery while plugged it to prevent possible discharges.

TEG

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When the processor is at full use, it's possible for the computer to require more power than provided by the power adapter which would cause the computer to supplement with the battery.

6. jeffuwee thread starter macrumors member

jeffuwee

oh really? i can just take out the battery? say if i was using it at home i could just use a coin open it up and take it out? would it still be okay?

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If you take out the battery your processor will be slowed down to half speed to avoid using more power can be supplied by the power adapter. Quite simply, leaving the battery in while it's plugged in will not hurt the battery. All batteries go bad eventually, but there is no wear and tear from just having it in the laptop with the charger connected.

8. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to add too that having your battery in saves you from sudden power outages wreaking havoc on your unsaved documents and hard drive. Personally, I accidentally yank out the magsafe connector two or three times a day, which would all result in lost work if I didn't have a battery in...

9. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Yea I was gonna say that. I NEED my batter in for those times that it accidentally becomes unplugged and because I'm constantly plugging in/unplugging the MacBook to move it into another room.

10. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

No.

The computer will never draw more current than the power adapter can supply.