Battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CoolKen86, Apr 18, 2009.

1. CoolKen86 macrumors member

I have a question to all the MBP 15" user, how long does your battery last? apple claims it lasts for 4 to 5 hours but mine get all used up in about an hour and something. Is there something wrong? im not even using the 9600 graphic card.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes, it should last longer than that. Have you calibrated your battery recently? Do you check your battery's health through a widget like istatnano?

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Depends

Depends what I am doing

DVD, full screen brightness - 2 hours
    word processing - screen min brightness, keyboard no illumination - 5 hours

Loads of forums here detailoing battery checking and resetting...you tried calibrating it?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It all depends on what you are doing with the computer. When it last that long what are you running on the computer? Are you doing programs that have heavy cpu usage like Photoshop?

If you are using a lot of cpu, and making the fans run that is going to short the battery life. You can try to extend the life, by turning down the brightness on the screen, or by checking the box in system prefs to "turn off hard disks when not in use".

5. jordan eff macrumors regular

I get 4-5 hours constantly when constantly using Safari, iPhoto and msn messenger

6. rknrolls macrumors newbie

install coconut battery and double check the capacity

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm surfing wirelessly right now on a 15" unibody MBP, with screen brightness up full, using the 9400M GPU, bluetooth off and iTunes, Mail and Adium running in the background. I've been at it for over an hour and my battery's at 59% with two hours left.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

If you're gaming or doing anything CPU or GPU intensive (Photoshop...) then it will literally eat your battery.

10. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Coconut battery

Using coconut battery my 2 week old MBP tells me

a) My MBP is actually 2 months old - presumably build date
    b) capacity is 4600/4716 max - presumably this relates to the fact the MBP only charges self when below 95% capacity?

Ha just check coconutidentity card and it seems my mac shares my birthday!

11. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

I don't do any heavy stuff with it just safari and itunes... and sometimes fusion to use the msn messenger there but that's it. And i did calibrate the battery.

12. Qwertylizer macrumors regular

Mine lasts about 3,5 hours. (keyboard illuminated, brightness low) My MBP is 4 months old. But the time it charges the battery is very very long. I constantly use Safari, iTunes, Messenger, Mail, iCal and sometimes Aperture.

13. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

I don't even think mine goes to 2 hours with keyboard iluminated and brightness like 50% only.