Battery question?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dazed24, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Dazed24 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook from Jun 08.

Here are my specs...

[​IMG]

I downloaded Battery Health Monitor, and it says my Battery health is low, should i be concerned and ready to buy a new battery?

[​IMG]

Then i got Coconut Battery and here are the specs:

[​IMG]

I used to always keep my Macbook on charge, until i read that you shouldn;t do that... do i need a new battery?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Why do you think that your battery's health is low? It still has 95% of its original capacity.

3. Dazed24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because the Battery health Monitor shows red percentage of the battery heatlh, sorry im not too good on technology...

Will this Macbook (mid 2008) run the 64bit SL?

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You've got almost 400 cycles on that thing. It's crap (or close to it).

5. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. Dazed24 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

No. The battery has 95% of its original capacity remaining.

Put the tools aside and answer this question: are you having a problem? When you run the computer on the battery do you get a short amount of runtime out of it before it dies?

If you only get 30-45 minutes on the battery, you may want to start pricing replacements. If you don't have a problem with it, you don't have a problem.

9. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

coconut battery = great app, your battery according to these means it is fine :)

10. Dazed24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I get 60-75 minutes.

Will my comp run on SL 64 bit?

11. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

You do not need a new battery yet.

As in "Second Life 64 bit?" I don't know. I would suggest checking the System Requirements page on Second Life's web site.

Good luck!

12. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard.

EDIT: The amount of time your computer lasts is irrelevant if your capacity is near original capacity, because buying a new battery won't get you any more run time than you already have.

13. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

Ahh, Snow Leopard. Sorry, I saw "SL" and came up with about a dozen things that could have stood for.

My point in all this is that if the user isn't experiencing a problem, there usually isn't a problem.

14. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

You have a Core 2 Duo. As far as I know with processors (not my strong point) the Core 2 Duo family are all 64-bit processors. You also have sufficient RAM and hard drive space, before you ask. Yes, you will be able to run Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode, and it'll work well. You will not, however, feel the benefit of Grand Central as you do NOT have a quad-core machine.

Sorry to put that last bit in a tad curtly but the number of times I have had to answer the question "is a Core 2 Duo a quad-core because its 2 Duo's?" at university has really started getting on my nerves.

15. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

ofc he will still experience the effects of grand central its still more than one core which is what grand central was built for :rolleyes:

16. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Ah the way I read into it I thought it was for multiple cores as in quad-core and upwards. My bad.

17. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

18. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

19. Dazed24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whats this Grand Central on SL you guys are talking about?

20. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

That is bloody impressive! Some good battery management went into that 88%!

Grand Central is the heart of the Snow Leopard upgrade. Leopard brought us a gazillion and eight updates to the OS, and Snow Leopard is trimming down the coding to an entirely Intel system optimised for multiple processors. Grand Central is the name of the system that controls and regulates different app's usage of different processor cores.

I was wrongly under the impression that GC would only work on Quad- and Eight-core Macs but apparently it will be active on Core 2 Duo as well which should mean you'll see a performance boost from anything you run.

Wolf ∑:•p