Battery Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshwithachance, May 16, 2010.

1. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

so I've never liked "topping out" my batteries. I've fully drained it quite a few times and with 14 cycles I still have 100% battery capacity so says coconut. Is it okay to always drain the battery to the point where it's using "reserved power" which is at 20% remaining? I either fully kill the battery or plug it in at this point.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I felt stupid for asking but so many people constantly have their laptops plugged in and tell me that actually using the battery all the way is bad for it's life. I don't know aha.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's worse for the battery to be plugged in all the time. Best for it is to fully charge it (when it hits 100%, unplug it) and then fully drain it, from 100% to 0%.

5. nconnella macrumors regular

Actually I've read this only should be done every thirty cycles or once a month. Constantly draining it all the way is bad. In general partial drains are the best thing for it. I think this is what Apple's website also says.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Wrong. Fully discharging a lithium polymer battery is bad for it. That's why Apple recommends doing so only once a month, which is actually still bad for the battery but the only way to register its true capacity.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Could be that I'm still living with older batteries :p Well, anyway, keeping it plugged in all the is the worse you can do AFAIK

8. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

what the hell is the point in having a PORTABLE computer with a battery if it basically needs to be plugged in all the time?

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Its too bad that theres not a 100 threads on this topic to get more information. O wait, there is.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios