Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Recently, my iBook G4 Battery deosn't seem to be able to charge fully. It reaches 99% and the lights at the charger, deosn't turn yellow/green or whatever, it remains at orange most of the time. I try resetting the power management system, but it still deosn't seem to work. Any ideas how to fix this one?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
DarkNetworks said:
Recently, my iBook G4 Battery deosn't seem to be able to charge fully. It reaches 99% and the lights at the charger, deosn't turn yellow/green or whatever, it remains at orange most of the time. I try resetting the power management system, but it still deosn't seem to work. Any ideas how to fix this one?

Long time since you calibrated you battery? Let it run totally dry approx once every other month.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I tried draining the battery, use it till it sleeps itself, shut down, let it charge fully but the light, it never turned green even though it is fully charged...tried same thing but didn't shut the PC down, still charged till 99% only and light remains orange...this is really wierd...

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Yeah it is the adapter that came with it. I did the Reset PMU but still it didn't work out...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The fact it only gets to 99% doesn't worry me. It's actually quite difficult to catch a mac laptop at exactly 100% because the charger is meant to cut out instantly and not start again until it falls to 95%. So, I guess there's the possibility it's not charging and your adaptor merely thinks it is. Does it eventually go down from 99%?

Oh, and the calibration technique shouldn't involve a shut down. You're merely meant to use it unplugged until it falls asleep and then plug it in, avoiding disconnecting it until it the light goes green or it stops charging (obviously difficult in this case). Of course, I realise this still doesn't help. :eek:

Is there another charger you could borrow? Have you tried shutting the machine down and taking the battery out and then re-seating it? :)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
When the power adapter is connected to the Mac, it charges up to 99% and remains there until i remove it and use the battery, it eventually goes down...

Abotu calibrating, i did it both ways...with shut down and without as well... I use it unplugged until it falls asleep and then plug it in, but the light never turned green...

Hm...not really, none of my friends use Macs...Yeah i took the battery out and try everything resetting PMU again etc...ut still now working...

Jorey3969

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2005
space
When you first took it out of the box, did you let it charge until the light turned green, it did take my iBook atleast twelve hours of being 99% and orange before it turned green. How long have you let it sit just plugged in for?

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
i did whatever stated in the manual when i first bought my iBook. This problem only happens recently...

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
macbook?

Jorey3969 said:
When you first took it out of the box, did you let it charge until the light turned green, it did take my iBook atleast twelve hours of being 99% and orange before it turned green. How long have you let it sit just plugged in for?

hi there, what do you guys think is the best calibration for macbook pro? take it out of the box, do not power it, plug it in until full charge, and then power it while it's still plugged in like apple says, and then after an hour or two, take the power off and let it run completely out of power until it goes to sleep?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.