Battery really starting to stink on Macbook Pro '19

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Makes me wonder if its because i haven't upgraded it to Catalina?? All of a sudden, not gradual, it is nothing like it was when first had it.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Activity Monitor should give you a hint at what recent apps have been chewing up the most power.

Typically, this is a web browser. They are notorious resource hogs and often the most heavily used pieces of software that have large shortcomings in their software code.

If you expect MacRumors forum readers to guess at your problem, they will probably be unsuccessful at determining what is sapping your battery.

Anyhow, best of luck.

Reactions: robvas

ctjack

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2020
Check activity monitor for heavy power drainers. In my case it is always Chrome browser. And i don't use it because of it.
Also once upon a time i heard rocket fan noise on my MBP. That was mac's mail client going mad and eating my cpu and battery. Had to force shut down this app. Never happened later.
Also use "coconut battery" to see your battery's health. If it is going less than 100% health in a few month, something is wrong with battery. I mean it could be not the best batch chemicals in it or it was laying in the inventory for too long and dying.

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Thanks guys. I use Chrome. A lot. With Facebook Business Manager. I tried to use FB Biz Mgr with Safari and it made the fan sound like the laptop was about to take off like an airplane. I guess I'll just have to live with it since I use Chrome and extensions w/ it for business

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Stop using Chrome.
There are other alternatives...
As soon as they have some extension help I will. FB pixel helper. Few others.
- - Post merged: - -

Example - on a plane - Wifi and chrome running FB ad manager - 95% down to 54% in about an hour... 😡

DanteHicks79

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
For those of you with unnecessary revving fans, grab Turbo Boost Switcher (which has been mentioned on MR prior).

My 13" MBP used to spin up mad anytime I launched Chrome, despite literally nothing being crunched on at the time. I disable Turbo Boost when I first power up, and never have had a problem since (you might have to temporarily disable it if you're running a PS filter or something legitimately processor intensive).

asfalloth

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
London
As soon as they have some extension help I will. FB pixel helper. Few others.
- - Post merged: - -

Example - on a plane - Wifi and chrome running FB ad manager - 95% down to 54% in about an hour... 😡
Brave browser built upon chrome has all you need I think :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.