Battery recognized, charges - doesn't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jibberia, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jibberia macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a strange problem with the battery in my 15-inch MBP (first-gen 2ghz). Computer is completely stock, bought right when they came out (heh - it was one of those early ones that used to "whine" - in fact, I just got around to cleaning out ShhMBP :)

It recognizes the battery, and charges it, but if I unplug the power cord, it dies immediately. If I close the lid to put it to sleep, it always goes directly into deep sleep mode (like any macbook would when the battery is low and the machine is sleeping).

Removing and re-installing the battery hasn't helped; neither has cleaning the contact points. I find it quite bizarre that it recognizes the fully charged (well, perpetually 99%) battery, can't use it, but knows to go into deep sleep.

Any ideas?

Oh - It's a secondary test computer, upgraded to Leopard - I'm not sure if the problem showed up after the upgrade or not. If I had to guess, I'd say it's leopard-only. Leopard killed this mac's capslock key too...

2. one1 macrumors 65816

DC-in board issue most likely. Sounds identical to the old iBook issues with Dc-in boards.

Try a PMU reset also just for kicks.

3. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

yeah, friend had that DC problem on her iBook, had to pay out the ears for repairs.