Battery Replacement. Are Apple picky?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JosephDuffy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi,
    I noticed a drop in performance a couple of months ago in the MBP, but it's recently got a lot worse. OS X is telling me it's ot issues, and I took to my nearest Apple Store a couple of months ago. However, I didn't know they'd need my MBP, I thought they could just test my battery, so I didn't get it replaced.
    I bought the MBP over 1 year ago from an official reseller.
    I've used programs to find out battery information, and I'm at half the cycles it should have before it starts to lose power, and it's health is low.
    From your experience, will Apple replace it for free? £100 for a battery is steep, and something I can't afford to pay :(
    Thanks,
    Joseph Duffy

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Has it been calibrated properly? How many cycles and what battery health does it show?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple has always replaced my batteries when they were out of spec, but that's for the old removable ones. I had three replacements on the same machine and honestly it was only a hair out of spec. If I didn't know how to use coconut battery/system profiler, I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Use the link GGJs posted to figure out whether your battery is worn or defective. If it's defective, and you have Applecare, they'll replace it. If it's worn, you won't get a replacement.

4. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I've gotten two free batteries from Apple, but both of them were expanding. The second time, they gave me a decently sized gift card for my trouble, in addition to a battery. I ended up getting a Bluetooth keyboard for 20 bucks.:)

5. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have extended Apple Care, but it is within 3 years of purchase, as the linked post said. I have battery cycled/calibrated a few times, but it still tells me it's in a bad way.
    I'll find some more battery software, and then take it into Apple :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your original warranty is for 1 year. AppleCare extends it from 1 year to 3 years. There is no "extended AppleCare". If it's beyond 1 year and you haven't purchased AppleCare, your battery isn't covered.