Battery replacement at Bristol store- PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by budge9, Oct 7, 2008.

1. budge9 macrumors member

Hey. I'm not really sure if this is the right section to put this but here goes.

Basically I have a macbook which is a couple of years old but I'm having a few problems with it. The battery only lasts about 20 minutes if it's not plugged in, which is obviously very annoying. Also one of keys is broken and the click key (the big one at the bottom under the pad) doesn't work unless it's pressed hard in one place.

I have applecare but I understand that batterys aren't covered by it.

My dilemma really is that I'm away from home at the moment and I really need by laptop. I was planning to go to the Bristol Apple Store tomorrow to see if they can replace the battery but does anybody know if it's likely that they'll be able to replace the battery in store whilst I wait!?? Also can they replace keys in the keyboard or do they have to replace the whole keyboard and possibly send it off!?? Do you then have to go and pick it up or can they send it to you if they have to send it off!??

I'm not sure if the keyboard is actually covered under Applecare but if it is do I need to bring the paperwork in with it!??

I understand that to get all this done I'll need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar. Is this actually the case?!!

Oh and one more thing. I've got a very small scratch on the screen. Does anybody know if Applecare covers this and if its possible to have the screen replaced in store!??

Thanks a million in advance for all your help! I really really really appreciate it!

Oh and sorry about all the questions! ;)

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You have to make an appointment at the Genius bar, no matter what.
    If they have spare keyboard's there they should be able to replace it, but they'll probably want to keep it to replace the track pad button.

If the battery isn't covered, then you can just buy one there.

You don't need paper work, they will look at your serial and check it against their records.

3. budge9 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I thought that I'd probably have to book an appointment at the Genius Bar but I've looked up the Bristol store and they've got plenty of appointments.

Do you know if they'll be able to do the battery in store?

Also do you have to get it sent off to replace the screen?

Thanks a million!

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Don't turn up thinking you can get an appointment, make sure you book it asap (like...now).

They sell batteries off the shelf, just pick one up and buy it.

5. budge9 thread starter macrumors member

You mean pick up a battery and install it myself!??

Cannot I not get them to install it if I book a Genius Bar appointment!??

Thanks a million!

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can get them to do it at the Genius Bar, I guess, but it takes about 5 seconds to pop one battery out, and put the new one in. You can easily do it yourself.

7. budge9 thread starter macrumors member

Can I do it myself then? I mean is it possible to order a new battery online from apple and install it myself? Thanks.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If the MacBook is 2 years old then it may well be covered by the 2 year "extended battery exchange program" thing - check with the genius....

The clicker is part of the topcase assembly - you cannot change just the keyboard alone on a MacBook - if the clicker is faulty then you will get a whole new topcase under AppleCare. The AppleStore should have them in stock and if you ask nicely (and they are not too busy) they might be able to do it while you wait (or come back in an hour...)

But book your appointment asap.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have AppleCare, the top case will be covered probably. As with the battery, it may be tough, but again if you have AppleCare it may be covered. Never hurts to ask nicely.

And if they don't give you replacement battery (which is their right), you can ask the Genius to install the new battery for you.