Battery replacement complaint to apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bongobongo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. bongobongo macrumors newbie

Hi.

I guess many of you are utterly disappointed with the battery replacement history for the iPhone.

I have just filed a complaint here (to apple):

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

By using the link above you can file a complaint to apple about their horrible battery implementation.

What did apple think when their dev. / marketing department decided for such a stupid battery implementation.

If you do not have the time to write the complaint yourself you can allways copy and paste the text below:

Hi.

I originally looked forward to buy an iPhone.

Finally a mobile phone with great UI, OS and large screen and not to forget the
    super Dev Kit that I can get to this puppy....

Huhhhh... THEN ... NOT POSSIBLE TO REPLACE THE BATTERY MYSELF.

That is horrible....

NO WAY THAT I WILL EVER BUY AN iPhone AND NOT BE ABLE TO REPLACE THE BATTERY MYSELF!

What on earth where dev and marketing department thinking when coming up
    with such an utterly stupid battery solution.

Hope to see an iPhone where I can replace the battery myself in near future!
    Untill then... adios iPhone.

Best regards

2. alFR macrumors 68020

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Good luck with that. The average person doesn't replace batteries in phones. Personally, I've been using cell phones since 1995 and have never replaced a battery or needed a second one.

4. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

NEWSFLASH

The iPhone has been around for a year now..... the situation with the battery has been the same since day 1....

WHY ON EARTH ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT NOW!

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Apple are a business.

What were they thinking?

They were thinking about the chargeable service they could offer to replace the battery for you in the event of it losing performance or life,
    as any business would, who had half-pint business sense.

Get with it.

Apple do not care whether you kick, cry or scream about the matter.

Don't like the product design? - Don't buy it.

Also, if that is a genuine copy of the e-mail feedback you sent to Apple's developement team,
    you should be highly embarrassed right now.

R-Fly

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I remember my first Motorola Flip Phone in 1993, had the battery life of about (1) hour of talk time, so I understood the reason for having (2) batteries and the charging cradle that allowed you to charge the phone and the spare battery. With today's cell phone battery holding a charge for as long as they do, and the many options to recharge your phone, I'm not sure I would want to have to worry about switching my battery out by myself. Maybe the OP should just get a Razr and a 1st generation iPod...IMHO :confused:

7. bongobongo thread starter macrumors newbie

You are probably right about that. I also belive that will apply to most of the iPhone users as well......

But then there is allways trouble with some batteries... probably also with batteries for the upcoming new iPhone model.
    And sooner or laiter it will have to be replaced, at least if you use the phone a lot.

I have had a few Nokia phones and have had a couple of replacements of batteries. And it is quite nice to be able to just stop in a shop and get a new battery and replace it myself.
    And for the few of us that want a spare, fully loaded, backup battery the iPhone is a no go in it's current state.

I just feel the replacement policy of Apple is outdated.

And definitely not very practical when eventually your new iPhone need a new battery.

8. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

In a lot of cases, at least most of the ones i have heard about, the iPhone user with a bad battery needing replaced has taken it to an Apple Retail Store and has had it replaced on the spot after having it tested, much like faulty notebook batteries...... under warranty of course....!

When i say replaced i mean the whole phone replaced... a much easier and more satisfying result i would say?

9. bongobongo thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay then...

But where are the Retail stores? Not many of those around....

Not many of those compared with shops that "could" sell just the iPhone battery.

And even better, if you could replace it yourself, you would not have to go anywhere if you had a backup battery.

10. mrowl macrumors regular

Whats the problem? Its not difficult to have the battery replaced if you need it, but how many users have a dead battery after one year? I doubt more than 0.5% of the original buyers....

And you are just now getting around to complaining? its been like this since it was announced 18 months ago.

11. bongobongo thread starter macrumors newbie

Why on earth should I bother complaining about this before?

I do not replace my cellphone every year or just because some cool company come up with new models.

But now my Nokia has had two bad errors in the last month.
    First one forced me to deliver the phone in a repair shop to get it fixed.
    The last one I could fix temorarily myself but it took 45 minutes.
    The two errors above is all because of bad software in the Nokia.

So I'm in the lookout for a new cellphone, such as the iPhone.
    And it would probably, if it where not for the ugly battery policy of Apple.

12. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

My point exactly!

1. Its old news so why air it now and
    2. The argument isnt strong as it is reasonably easy to get a replacement.

End of thread!

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OMG, the OP doesn't even have the iPhone...(I need to start taking my medication) :eek:

14. bongobongo thread starter macrumors newbie

"1. Its old news so why air it now and"

Old news... huhhhh

As I know it the iPhone 3G is not out yet... anywhere in the world.

And Apple should have had plenty of time to come up with a much better battery solution than the 1. gen iPhone.

"2. The argument isnt strong as it is reasonably easy to get a replacement."

What do you mean by that!
    Probably good enough for you.... but there may be some other people out there you know, that also might need a replacement battery and to be able to replace it themselves.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP, you need to actually get the v1 iPhone in your hands and not troll. You are basing your claims on what? Certainly not "experience" with the iPhone; on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of credibility, you are at about -3, IMHO. I suggest you give the 3G iPhone a shot and quit sitting on the outside, looking in. You can always take it back after 29 days and try something else and not be charged ETF. Quit sitting on the "POT!" Hopefully this helps...:mad: (Dang, they only let me vote once on this thread and they don't have "0" stars).

16. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

what is wrong with no battery replacement anyway?
    i agree with fishkorp, ive had my phone for 4 odd-years now... ive never needed to replace the battery.
    honestly.

17. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Cell Phone users who feel the need to buy new batteries are the new polluters of the world. lol.

In all honesty if you're using your phone so much that you can't find a usb port or a power plug during the day then there is something wrong. If finding a retail apple store is hard to do then maybe finding a port to quickly plug your phone in must be harder.

I know from personal experience that once I even started considering getting a new battery for my phone I'd rather just replace the phone all together. No, I don't go through phones left and right, it's just by the time I notice a significant loss in battery life, it was also time to get a new phone. My 1st gen iphone battery was really good considering I got great usage from my phone daily and charged it every night after a yr the battery is still in great condition. 1st hand experience with the iphone > none

18. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

especially when you can just get one of the portable ones.

19. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Bongo - get over it. It's no big deal. Find something real to be concerned about. Also, nice first post by the way.

20. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

It IS old news as this sort of thing has been round from day 1 of the ipod era...

...Okay apple have had time to rectify what you deem to be a mistake in design but they haven't changed their thinking on the ipod front so why would hey change for a phone. Both items are portables so i would assume that R&D at apple treats them similarly if not identically.

If you are not happy with that then don't buy an iphone.

There are infinite arguments from narrowed points of view that would stop a lot of people buying certain products all i am saying is that most of them have been aired already and discussed/argued/talked about/cried about on this and countless other forums so why bring up an old issue.

Presently I have a 1st Gen iPhone and do intend to upgrade only because i can, not because i need to! I like to be up to date!

The funny thing is that i wouldnt say that the iPhone is a great phone as phones go these days, but it suits me as i dont care too much about cameras and video and the like, just the phone, ipod and web abilities.

Bottom line, if you dont like the battery situation and it stops you from buying the phone dont bother moaning about it on a mac forum where the vast majority of us love the brand and dont wanna hear someone complain, never mind cajole us into agreeing with him.

21. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

This "problem" has been a very minor issue for iPod owners. If iPod owners don't make a fuss about it, iPhone users aren't. I'm willing to bet people replace cell phones a lot more often then they do iPods. For every 1 person that thinks the way you do there are literally hundreds, possibly thousands who think the opposite. Apple's not going to cry over you not buying their phone for not having a user-replaceable battery. They cater to the masses, not the unique minority.

It's great that you're voicing your dissatisfaction with a product, but it's honestly going to get you nowhere. Apple's not going to change that. iPods don't have replaceable batteries and even the MacBook Air doesn't have one. They're in the business to make money, and allowing users to replace their own battery (which opens the door for cheap, crappy 3rd party batteries) is not how they'll make that money.

22. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

With a music player, i don't see a problem with the battery the way it is. But what if you're in a bind, you need another battery for some reason and you need to make a call.

Current iPhone users....... have you had to send your iPhone in for a new battery yet? If so, do they send you another phone to use while your iPhone is having it's battery replaced?

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Once upon a time, they did.
    And they made a very, very, very large fuss about it.

So this complaint is nothing new.

I think there are 2 problems here.

1) The cell phone industry and Apple (with their iPods) have created a culture of waste. Cell phone 1 or 2 years old and no longer fancy? Get a new one. iPod broken? Throw it away and get a new one. We all know that batteries go bad.. particularly with misuse. So, what happens if you spend $400 on an iPhone and in a year and half you're getting 1/2 battery life? Not everyone wants to plunk down another $400 for another iPhone. In this case, it seems to me that the OP just wants to have an extra battery for extended use. As a manufacturer, if you're going to pack so much useful digi-tech functions into something as small as a cell phone, I don't think that it's ridiculous to want to be able to extend it's usefulness by being able to carry an extra battery. Which leads me to my second problem..

2) I think perhaps the OP went about this the wrong way. Rather than complaining about the lack of battery options, submitting this complaint to Apple, and coming here to post this complaint in a quasi-trollish way.. He might have simply asked:

"What do you think about the iPhone battery? Here's what I think.."

Any maybe then we could have avoided all this needless drama?

24. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Oh god not this again... if you dont like it get a windows mobile or a palm and stop complaining

25. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

AFAIK Loaner iPhone is $20. And if you don't return it they charge you the full price of the iPhone.