Battery replacement for 2009 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hephaestus, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

Greetings All,

I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. My MBP from 2009 is still in great shape, not a single scratch and recently I added an SSD. Funnily enough, it's snappier than my 2012 iMac, and with 8GB of RAM, I can see no valid reason to get rid of it and spend another £1500 on a new MBP.

The only thing letting it down is the battery life. I can only get about 2.5 hours of it now, and I think it only has 60% or so of its original capacity. According to iStat it's had 907 charge cycles with 56% capacity remaining.

Has anybody here had a battery replacement done by Apple? I've done some research, and from what I've seen, it will cost in the region of £100. That's a lot better than shelling out £1500, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. Does anyone know if Apple still manufacturers new batteries for these older MBP's?

If I buy a battery from Apple, will it be a battery that has been sat in their warehouse for several months, with 85% capacity? Or will it be a brand new battery, recently manufactured, with 95-100% capacity?

I guess I'm looking for past experiences from anyone here. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you've got a 13" MBP, Apple still makes brand new batteries that will fit in that computer.

3. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 15" model, does Apple no longer make new batteries for the 15"? If so, that seems a little odd.

4. T5BRICK, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I probably should have phrased that better. Apple still makes a non retina 13" MBP, which uses the same battery as the 2009 13" MBP.

Your best bet would be to ask Apple, but I doubt they have 18 month old batteries sitting on their shelves.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I got a brand new battery last year for my 13" that had no cycles on it. It was about $200 USD. I would hope they would still have 15" batteries in stock since the newest models were still sold a few years ago. It will definitely improve things though. It gave my 13" some new life when I thought it was a goner!

6. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

MBP 2010 Battery replacement experience

Hi there,

I have let Apple replace my Battery two month ago. I do have a similar situation. Computer is still like new, got 1TB of SSD in there and its very fast. Does everything I want it to do, so a new Battery is always a good idea and the cheapest way possible to make your initial purchase cheaper through longer usage.
    If my computer will work for another 4 years with this Battery, the very high price of the 17' premium model will be real cheap across 8 years of usage.
    My Battery made a big difference. It feels new and holds more charge a lot longer. Its like 4 years ago. I am sure the Batteries are fairly new, especially if you buy it in a very busy Apple Store. There tons of people that always come in to get a new Battery, meaning shelf live of Batteries should be very low. And thats even better with a 15' mainstream model thats very common.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

They have batteries on their shelves for my 2008 15" at my local Apple store.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes, but when were they manufactured?

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm guessing I'd only know by opening the package, which inherently means buying a battery I don't need. So, unfortunately, I can't answer that.