Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelChristopher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
Florida
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking at replacing the battery on my late 2009 MacBook (A1342) as it only holds a charge for about an hour and from time to time the battery icon in the menu bar says something to the effect of "replace battery soon". I plan to replace it myself but I'd like find the best battery to replace it with. Anyone have any suggestions? Some say not to use third party parts, but I'm not sure Apple even makes a battery for this computer. Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or power adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. It's not worth it to risk your MacBook on a non-Apple battery or power adapter, just to save a few bucks.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.