Battery replacement for MBA 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Isamilis, May 27, 2015.

1. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

Anyone already replace the battery? How much it cost, and how long it took for replacement (should the MBA stay overnight or just 1-2 hours)?
    Also, is there anything I need to be aware of before / after battery replacement?

Thanks a lot...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Out of warranty replacement costs $129 (excluding taxes). How long they need it will depend on how busy the store is that you take it to. Back up your Mac before taking it in for any service. When you get it back, turn it on and start using it.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. Isamilis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks GGJstudios. Would you recommend to have battery from 3rd parties, like: this product (in Amazon)?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or power adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. It's not worth it to risk your $2000 MacBook on a non-Apple battery or power adapter, just to save a few bucks.

5. W1SS macrumors member

W1SS

Apple parts' prices are ridiculously marked up.. I ordered a mid-2013 7150mAh original factory battery manufactured by "Dynapack Electronic Technology" for my mid-2012 MBA (vs 6700mAh for mid-2012) from a reliable seller, Nancy, on AliExpress for under $60 - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...13-A1466-2013-2014-MD760LL-A/32258184659.html

Installation was a breeze and I've got an extra 450mAh over the standard mid-2012 battery.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

How can it be genuine original and have a different capacity?

7. W1SS macrumors member

W1SS

8. motrek macrumors 68020

Ah of course. I didn't realize there was a capacity difference between years. Sounded suspicious to me. If it really is OEM then it sounds like you got a good deal.

9. JBat macrumors regular

JBat

Will the Genius Bar put one of the newer MBA batteries in a mid-2012 MBA or do I just get another of the same battery?

10. W1SS macrumors member

W1SS

I tried getting a couple of Apple's Authorized Service Centers to do this for me but they refused citing Apple's internal policies...

Quick update- I'm happy to report that my recently replaced battery, procured through the link I posted earlier, is now on its fourth cycle and I'm getting an average of 7 hours of use per charge and capacity is fluctuating between 7100 and 7400mAh..

11. JBat, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

JBat macrumors regular

JBat

Pulling open your MBA was a breeze? Just pop the screws and remove the back? Any soldering involved? The way Apple has made it sound, to me anyway, is that it's a major chore. I should add that my not-quite-three-year-old MBA is showing 376 cycles and 77% health. It also says service battery under the battery menu. I assume that means swap out the battery.

12. W1SS, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

W1SS macrumors member

W1SS

Yup, the entire process took 5 minutes and it's super simple. My old battery was at 402 cycles, 74% health and was reporting 'service battery' too.

Steps involved:

Note: At NO point throughout the installation procedure should you press against or bend the battery cells... The frame is there for a reason.

When in doubt, follow the simple ifixit guide at https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2013+Battery+Replacement/15205

1. Place your MBA on a clean flat surface.. I used a bath towel.

2. Disconnect the magsafe charger, if it's connected, and unscrew the back cover screws gently using the provided torx screw driver.. a total of 3 magnetized screw drivers were provided with the battery I bought from Nancy on AliExpress.

3. Disconnect the battery connector from the logic board and gently unscrew the battery screws (small black screws) then proceed to remove the battery making sure to pull from the battery frame and not the actual battery cells.

4. Clean your MBA's internals including the black cooling fan using pressurized air can or a clean paintbrush.

5. The new battery comes with a transparent protective plastic cover that is slightly glued to the battery... Gently pull the plastic cover and proceed to install the new battery in the MBA.

6. Place the black battery screws in the new battery frame and gently tighten the screws until they are secured... Do not over tighten the battery screws otherwise you may risk cracking the battery frame.

7. Connect the battery connector to the logic board and install the back cover. Again, gently tighten the back cover screws so as to avoid damaging the screw heads.

8. Power on and charge the battery continuously until it reaches 100%

** Remember to pack your old battery with the transparent plastic cover that came with the new battery and dispose of it at a battery recycling center/bin **

13. JBat macrumors regular

JBat

14. JBat macrumors regular

JBat

So, I couldn't sign up to Ali Express at home on my Mac because the bloody verification code wouldn't show up. Got that sorted out on my work computer, but then I had to figure out the the "Country Code," which I think is 11, then the City Code, which I can't find anywhere.

Then I get a message saying that "this product can't be shipped to your region." Can't be shipped to Washington?! WTH is up with Ali Express?

Any advice W1SS?

15. JBat macrumors regular

JBat

Oh, check that, found any answer! "Escrow does not provide service for Washington!" Yay! According to their support there are legal restrictions to Ali Express shipping to WA, but they assure me the service will resume later this year. Wow.

Off to the Genius Bar it is!

16. W1SS macrumors member

W1SS

That's strange. I didn't experience any of the issues you mentioned. I checked the AliExpress store and they do indeed ship to Europe and the US.

Are you using some sort of a java script / ad blocker plugin? The site should automatically recognize your location unless you are accessing it via VPN.

If all fails, you may want to try purchasing the battery through the AliExpress store mobile app or contacting AE's customer service.

17. Isamilis, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016

Isamilis thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi W1SS, finally I ordered A1496 - following the link you mentioned. I hope everything going well. Thank you!
    --
    Update 8th March: Finally replaced the battery by myself. So far so good. However the MBA now is a bit heavier.

18. Nick Malevich macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!
    Is it true that A1496 battery works properly on MBA A1466 Mid 2012?
    There is a difference 0.3volts. A1405 7.3v 6700mAh and A1496 7.6v 7150mAh.
    Can it damage my MBA?
    Thanks!

19. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I thought about replacing the battery in my mid 2012 MBA and hanging onto it for a little while longer but I've decided that I'm just going to upgrade to a 2016 MBP instead.

20. Isamilis thread starter macrumors 6502

I am still using the battery that I replaced last March. And still going strong. No issues at all.

21. Nick Malevich macrumors newbie

Thank you!