Battery replacement, how does it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Michael Goff, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

That might seem like a weird question, but let me explain.

If I send it in, within a week or two it will be sent back, yes? And how exactly do they replace it? I know that the reason why I have to send it in is because the battery is because it is built in.

Weird question, I know, but I guess I'm kind of paranoid about something going wrong with the laptop in the process. I suppose I would know if and when I get it back and it still has the same scratches and dents.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macnotebooks

3. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Depends on where you take it as the above post said. In my shop, typically you get it back next day unless you bring it in really late in the day or the part doesn't ship same day (which is rare). We don't stock any batteries except for the user installable kind.

4. safelder macrumors member

I just had my battery replaced (2010 MBP) a week or so ago at the Apple Store. It was done in 45 minutes, and I got an email alert when it was ready for pickup.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Personally I would prefer same day service but OK send it in, I would take pictures before for insurance.

6. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Okay, so they just ... unsolder the battery and out in a new one, right? I don't have to worry about them messing with anything else other than the battery, right?

Also, there are no Apple stores near me. There's an Apple Authorized place about an hour away.

7. bizzle macrumors 6502a

There is no soldering involved. It's just a plug inside and held down with 5 screws.

8. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Ah.

That's what I get for... not knowing that. Then why do I have to send it in? And how are batteries supposedly less replaceable now if it's just screws holding it in? Am I missing something?

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I believe you are saying, how come Apple decides taking off a few screws is beyond any perfectly good adult...

You'd be amazed.

Anywhoo once the cover is off, God forbid you are too rough with the screwdriver and scratch one of those tinny circuit traces, so Apple doesn't want the user to do this, or if you wish, is ancillary revenue for Apple.

If machine out of warranty, and I can be sure I can get a good battery, not those Chinese knockoffs, I'd do it myself too.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you do some searching, you'll find on this forum threads that pop up now and then, of people who have absolutely wrecked their MacBook Air/Pro when they opened it up to do what they thought were trivial repairs.

There are people who lack the skills or dexterity to go taking apart a MacBook Air, or are just plain unlucky. For this reason, Apple has to cater to the lowest common denominator and just say there are no user-serviceable parts inside.

Not to mention, things ARE tight in there. I've done multiple logic board, keyboard and other component replacements on Lenovo ThinkPad X and T-series laptops, and upgraded the memory on a few MacBook Pros, but I still have no plans to go messing around inside my MacBook Air anytime soon. I'll just happily buy AppleCare and let Apple deal with that.

11. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Thanks for the answers. :)